Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Alignment Question

jimmy03

Hey how’s it going?

I was hoping some of you could diagnose some of the issues I’ve been having. I noticed that a new Glock 17 I purchased was having some issues that I initially perceived as a problem with the gun…the pistol would eject rounds straight up into the air with Winchester White Box and some of the other ammo available at Walmart. However, it ejects strong to the right with 124 NATO. While it certainly can be an issue with the gun, I also think my grip may need some tweaking as it’s definitely possible that my grip could be inducing some of the problems I’m having.

First of all, I understand wanting to get a good high grip on the gun, and I understand the concept of wanting to have the barrel in line with the wrist and forearm. This brings me to my first question. Am I correct in assuming that your right and left arm positions should NOT be mirror images of one another? In other words, when I present on target while focusing on keeping the barrel in line with my strong side wrist and forearm, I notice that my right arm is extended straight out, almost as if I were throwing a straight right in boxing. In comparison, my weak side elbow flares out away from my body. Basically, I just want to make sure that both of my elbows and the way both arms are bent should not be a mirror image of themselves.

In comparison, I found that if I try to make both arms a mirror image of themselves and focus on flaring both elbows out, I have a natural tendency for the gun to be off line from my wrist and forearm. When I flare both elbows out, I notice that the back of my strong hand is no longer straight and aligned with my forearm.

Any critiques are greatly appreciated!

Hi Jimmy,

The shell extraction can vary on how hot the load is, lighter loads tend to just go a little bit up and almost fall under the gun, hotter loads goes way to 3:00 to 4:00 position,etc there are also variables like the shape of the extractor claw, but I think you don't need to worry about it as long as all cases are being extracted properly means your gun is cycling ok.

about the grip here's a link to a good discussion.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223919

HTH

Edited by quaker

Your arms cannot be TOTAL mirror images if you are trying to grip as high as possible. The left wrist will be higher and angled more thumb forward. That puts the forearms at a different position. Most seem to do best when they are NEAR mirror image, within limits, letting the arms absorb recoil equally.

The frame of a Glock is pretty light, so ammunition and how you grip it can have a big influence on how it behaves on recoil and how it ejects.

Edited by perttime

The latest "Blue Press" (February)has an article in the back about grip, arm, and elbow position featuring Brian.

I found the picture alone quite helpful, as I am about the same build as Brian with about the same size hands and I'm also left eye dominant.

A picture truly IS worth a thousand words...

Thanks for that, Brian!

Edited by TDA