Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats your slug zero with an adjustable rear

Moltke

I used to have problems shooting slugs until I changed my sights to an adjustable rear sight dovetailed into my vent rib and a thinner front fiber. After actually zeroing the gun for 50 yards there's really no guesswork anymore so I rarely miss a slug target. Who else has done something like this and what were your results?

I zeroed a shotgun once at 50 yards and then it hit right where the sight was pointing at 50 yards, so I guess my results mirror yours. So to recap, if you zero your gun to hit point of aim at 50 yards it will hit point of aim at 50 yards. I think lots of people have had this result.

What is your trajectory and what level of detail have you put into it? Is it worth the time to find all that out given the target sizes we shoot? What sights?

Edited by Moltke

My trajectory is what ever the Federal Tru Ball low recoil slugs give. I actually zero at 100 with full power slugs. I find that low recoils slugs will hit within 3 inches of those so I am happy. Level of detail??? I just shoot them at various ranges and know where they hit. It isn't like we are loading "bench rest" accurate shotgun ammo here

Sights???.....it's a shotgun it doesn't need no sights!!!.....or so I am told.

But to answer your question it is a 10-22 Ruger flip up sight. Elevation is accomplished with the little slide that locks with a screw and windage is adjusted by drifting the whole sight in the dove tail. Front sight is a Hi-Vis comp fiber optic sight. This combo was put on the gun in 1998 and has held zero since then. It is easy to do head shots on a Metric target at 50 yards with the afore mentioned Tru-Ball.