Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People Who Don't Care About Their Work

EricW

Through the years, I have had several jobs, and it does indeed seem like there are 2 classes of people. Those who care, and those who don't. It is that simple. And very hard to change a bad attitude.

I now do remodeling and home repair work, and 1/4 of what I do now is repairing someone else's repair.....I am the owner and only employee, but when my work starts to get crappy, I promise to fire myself. When you don't enjoy what you are doing, it's time to move on....

Mike

A lot of this is driven by the demand for productivity. The bean counters only want x number of units produced per unit time. They don't care that they are pushing a defective part out the door.

Same thing happens on the service side. Get it done. That's all that matters.

We were looking at having a custom house built a couple years ago and were told that this one outfit was the best custom builder in the area. Good rates, fast and quality work. Not being stupid I realized that those three things were mutually exclusive but decided to go ahead and take a look.

We saw pictures of some of his show piece homes but he didn't want to make arrangements for us to tour one of these homes. "Oh you can see from the pictures..."

A friend of a friend hooked me up and I got to tour a home built by this guy's company. What a pile of crap. Doors that weren't hung square in their frames. Walls that were wavy. Get the light just right and you could see every fastener divot in the drywall. The killer was that this was his entry in the "parade of homes" show a few years earlier.

We eventually decided not to build because we couldn't find a builder that cared to do the job right that could get to us any time in the next two years. Some day I will build it myself and do it right.

Americans as a general rule just don't seem to care about quality anymore. They demand instant gratification and are willing to pay stupid quantities of money to have a "name" screw them over as long as they have the "name" merchandise.

A house that is 90% "set dressing" is fine because none of their friends care about quality either.

What really pisses me off is that I find myself having the tendency to "half-ass" things now and then just to get them out of my way. That sux.

A lot of this is driven by the demand for productivity.  The bean counters only want x number of units produced per unit time.  They don't care that they are pushing a defective part out the door.

Same thing happens on the service side.  Get it done.  That's all that matters.

We were looking at having a custom house built a couple years ago and were told that this one outfit was the best custom builder in the area.  Good rates, fast and quality work.  Not being stupid I realized that those three things were mutually exclusive but decided to go ahead and take a look.

We saw pictures of some of his show piece homes but he didn't want to make arrangements for us to tour one of these homes.  "Oh you can see from the pictures..."

A friend of a friend hooked me up and I got to tour a home built by this guy's company.  What a pile of crap.  Doors that weren't hung square in their frames.  Walls that were wavy.  Get the light just right and you could see every fastener divot in the drywall.  The killer was that this was his entry in the "parade of homes" show a few years earlier.

We eventually decided not to build because we couldn't find a builder that cared to do the job right that could get to us any time in the next two years.  Some day I will build it myself and do it right.

Americans as a general rule just don't seem to care about quality anymore.  They demand instant gratification and are willing to pay stupid quantities of money to have a "name" screw them over as long as they have the "name" merchandise.

A house that is 90% "set dressing" is fine because none of their friends care about quality either.

What really pisses me off is that I find myself having the tendency to "half-ass" things now and then just to get them out of my way.  That sux.

I am a painting contractor. I DO NOT do New construction. A couple of reasons. First is that the builders don't want to pay to have it done right. I would do it right. I only bid a job to do it right and I'm told sometimes that my bid was 3 or 4 times higher than the cheapest. What does that tell you. Either I'm ripping the buider a new one. Or the CHEAP painters are doing less than minimal. It's the latter, because I am called by the new homeowner 3 years after they move in to repaint EVERYTHING.

Anyone experiencing this please don't blame the sub contractor. It's the buider who is doing the hiring. You get what you pay for.

And on another note, ALL of us want to save money, right? So more than likely if there were two houses that were built on the same floor plan and colors, most would choose the house that cost 30% less. Ex. 200,000 vs. 260,000. Most people probably would say " I can live with the wavy walls and cheap carpet ect... If it means that I save $60,000.

This argument goes both ways. I've been seeing it EVERYDAY for 23 years.

Just my.02 :D