Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parts List double check before ordering - Lee Classic Turret.....

To hand prime you must:

Put case in press. Cycle press to remove primer

Put case in hand prime tool. Prime.

Now it's ready to go back into the press for loading.

That makes 3 times into a shell holder to get it loaded. From a cleaned fired case.

On the press priming you put it in once. It gets deprimed and on the down stroke re-primed. It now also gets powder and a bullet so rather than 3 separate operations it's just 1.

Depriming each case 1 by 1. Then hand priming 1 by 1 then loading them takes most of the benefit out of having a turret press. Might as well go single stage as the time spent loading will be comparable.

This.

I'm not understanding the issue with the safety prime on the LCT? A few minutes to get it adjusted properly and it just works, a quick tap during the sizing/de-prime op and the primer is ready for insertion on the upstroke.

Ok, do it your way and I'll do it mine. :cheers:

no worries steve. :) to be honest these days I do it all on a dillon 650 (not sure if I'm allowed to say that in this subsection!). but it does have a lee auto drum on one of its toolheads and lee dies on all of them. :)

To hand prime you must:

Put case in press. Cycle press to remove primer

Put case in hand prime tool. Prime.

Now it's ready to go back into the press for loading.

That makes 3 times into a shell holder to get it loaded. From a cleaned fired case.

On the press priming you put it in once. It gets deprimed and on the down stroke re-primed. It now also gets powder and a bullet so rather than 3 separate operations it's just 1.

Depriming each case 1 by 1. Then hand priming 1 by 1 then loading them takes most of the benefit out of having a turret press. Might as well go single stage as the time spent loading will be comparable.

This.

I'm not understanding the issue with the safety prime on the LCT? A few minutes to get it adjusted properly and it just works, a quick tap during the sizing/de-prime op and the primer is ready for insertion on the upstroke.

That has been my experience too. It took me probably 5 min to get it setup right and then probably 50-100 rounds to learn a reliable technique for operating the pez dispenser part of it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have one, really like it too, but I tossed the plastic priming system in the trash, and hand prime everything that goes on the LCT. I use it almost as much as I do my 550B, only load .380, 9mm and .223 on the turret, everything else works on the Dillon.

I've got about 16K rounds through my LCT, and I really haven't had any problems with the priming system, though I did put a piece of tape across the raised bit on the base that activates the primer lever when the ram is lowered. It was activating the lever a bit late so the primer would sometimes catch on the bottom of the shell holder.

Problem solved.

I get 220-250 rounds per hour, so five hours of loading would put you in the 1000+ rounds neighborhood, not 500.

I sometimes look at progressives, but the LCT produces really good ammo with an absolute minimum of fiddle time. Good enough.