Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring help!

G17fan

Ok here is my question....

When fitting a recoil spring to a new gun.... When do you know when it is at the right length once you cut some coils to make sure the slide release engages and the breechface clears the disconnector enough?

What is suppose to stop the slide when it goes back upon firing?

Is the slide to stop when the all coils on the recoil spring are fully compressed? Is this where the energy is to go and the stopping point or when the reverse plug smacks the guide rod itself?

I am trying to determine where the stop/impact should be so I don't over stress my slide/frame.

Thank you very much!

Edited by G17fan

Unless your spring is too stiff, the slide stops when the recoil spring tunnel hits the guide rod head.

You don't want the spring to fully compress prior to the spring tunnel hitting the guide rod head. An easy way to test that out is to take the rod, spring, and plug out of the pistol and compress the spring all the way down until the plug hits the head. If the plug stops short of that, trim a coil and repeat until the head and the plug touch each other.

Per ISMI spring company.

To check for slide travel:

1) With the pistol fully assembled BUT WITHOUT the recoil spring installed, pull the slide fully to the rear.Using a pencil, make a mark on the frame that corresponds with the front of the slide.

2) Reassemble the pistol WITH the recoil spring installed, pull the slide fully to the rear. If the mark lines up with the front of the slide you are getting full slide travel and nothing further is required. If the mark DOES NOT line up with the front of the slide measure the distance between the mark on the frame and the front of the slide. Remove the recoil spring and trim as needed from the front of the spring (the rear of the spring is the end that has to be forced onto the guide rod. Cut the OTHER end). Each coil removed will result in approximately 0.100" (1/10") of additional slide travel.

Any questions, call ISMI at (800) 773-1940.

Same thing Pat said but with a couple pics. Without spring, mark front of slide at it's rear most position. Slide should retract to the same position with the spring installed. post-1793-0-08936300-1446897119_thumb.jppost-1793-0-91765400-1446897147_thumb.jp

Edited by scooterj