Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

plans for a benchrest for the range

lppd4

A number of years ago, Jim Carmichael wrote a chapter in a book about a portable bench built out of 2x6. You could build it on sleds so it would slide in and out of the back of a pick up truck. I built one and used it for years. It really worked great. I think I know where this book is and I'll try to post some pics. Should have looked before I started typing.

post-6496-0-83464800-1447033137_thumb.jp

post-6496-0-23236900-1447033167_thumb.jp

post-6496-0-50868500-1447033303_thumb.jp

Edited by shooter steve

That bench works really good. If you need it to be portable, measure the gap between the fender wells of your truck and adjust the dimensions accordingly. When you get to the range, back your truck where you want it to go and slide it off, but don't move the truck. Set all your shooting supplies on your tailgate. You can just sit there and shoot, with all your junk right behind you, so you can just turn around and get what you need. Your bench top won't be all cluttered up that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to building the shooting bench. We modified some plans we found via Google to suit our needs. It is 60" across the front and 48" front to back. T shaped so it will accommodate right or left handed shooters, or shooter and spotter simultaneously and has built in sitting areas. Built on 4x4 legs with 2x6 framing and a 3/4' plywood top all screwed together with 3" drywall screws. it is super sturdy and will fit our needs nicely. Will get a coat of paint on it in the near future so it will be more weather resistant and we will be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...