Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try a cut down 1911 firing pin spring?

msg73

I noticed that a 1911 firing pin spring fits on a CZ firing pin (at least on the CGW extended FP). I also noticed that the 1911 spring is lighter than the CGW reduced power firing pin spring. I was wondering if anyone ever tried cutting down a 1911 FPS and using it in your CZ to get more reliable primer strikes with the lower hammer springs.

I know the biggest concern is going too light on FPS whereas the FP could strike the primer when the slide is going into battery when cycling a new round. I was thinking of testing it by putting some putty in the primer pocket, chamber the case and releasing the slide to see if the FP marks the putty. I'll also probably put in a heavier recoil spring to make sure the slide is really going into battery forcefully.

Thoughts? Maybe we can use other primers with hthe lighter hammer springs normally reserved for Fed primers only.

I have zero issues with light primer strikes with the CGW Extended Firing Pin, Lightened Firing Pin spring, CZ Low and Wide Hammer, and 11.5lb CGW Spring combo regardless of the primer used.

The biggest problem I have is that the firing pin spring may be a tad too light since I can see some slight drag marks from the firing pin on the primers.

I think the easiest way to test if the firing pin spring has enough tension is to push on the firing pin and see how forceful it returns. My current situation seems to come back slowly where a stock situation comes back with more force. Something in-between would probably be ideal.

Edited by himurax13

The biggest problem I have is that the firing pin may be a tad too light since I can see some slight drag marks from the firing pin on the primers.

Good point there. We need to make sure the firing pin spring is heavy enough to return the FP back into the channel before the barrel unlocks.

I just got done fitting a shortened 1911 firing pin. I did some crude measurements and it's about 500-550 grams when pushing the firing pin flush with the slide versus 600-650 grams with the CGW firing pin spring....a good 15% or so reduction in weight. I have to test it out at the range tomorrow and carefully examine my brass.

I wonder if a lighter firing pin would be more reliable than a heavier one

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I guess the term "reliable" needs defined better.

A lighter spring would lead to more "reliable" primer ignitions but it is also more likely "relax" sooner (given same materials) sacrificing long term "reliability".

Got back from the range and I concluded that it really didn't do anything significantly better than the CGW spring. I'll leave it in as I didn't see any negative results.

Also, the 1911 spring is tightly wound (more coils), so I would think it would hold up better as each coil moves less.

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably shot a few hundred rounds with the cut 1911 spring with an 11.5 lb hammer spring and haven't had a single light primer strike with WSP primers. I did this because I wanted to see if I could run an 8.5 lb hammer spring and reliably set off WSP primers as I've got a bunch of them. I've been a bit busy and haven't tried an 8.5 spring yet. I'm sure I'll get around to it some day but the gun has been running well with the 11.5 spring so I haven't felt the urgency in messing with it at the moment.