Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun scope decision

xagent

I have been shooting a MTAC 1x4 for a couple of seasons and I have been having problems seeing the long distance targets 200-500 lately. I've been considering getting more magnification to help out. I already have a Burris FFIII that I can mount at a 45 for up close stuff.

I'm looking at the Burris 2-7x32 fullfield E1 1" tube or a Nikon Prostaff 7 2.5x10x44 30mm tube. I can use my current 30mm mount for the Nikon but will have to get another 1" mount for the Burris. At the end of the day the price will work out the same or close.

I like the size and weight on the Burris but have some reservations about the 7x power top end out to 500 yards. I like the the idea of the 10x top end but the scope is going to be heavier, the rifle is already getting heavy as it is. I not sure if I want to wrestle with an even heavier gun by going with the 10x.

I could use some opinions especially if anybody has used these scopes. It would be idea if I could try them both on my rifle and decide but there isn't a lot of open gunners around here using bigger optics.

I just posted a similar question and got a bunch of responses. Ended up going with the fullfield e1 2-7x35. If I was willing to spend more and add some weight I'd go with the Burris 2-10 veracity.

I saw the other post and got some good ideas there.

The last match I had some issues with a 300 yd plate. I couldn't really see it or see where the hits were landing. The spotter said I was just under but I couldn't see a thing. I think my issue is the magnification since I'm getting older.

I've shot my 2-7 at 2 and 300 so far with no issues crosshairs are fine so it doesn't cover much of the target like a lot of reticles.

The glass is amazing for $200. There are better scopes out there sure but for the price I don't think so.