Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder confusion

lnickels

I know this is in the forum somewhere, but which ( what brands) different powders will work alright with a 180 grain bullet, loading longer in a STI Edge? I mean, where's a guy to start powder wise reloading for these guns?

thanks, larry

Do searches on: N310,  N320, Clays, and Titegroup; they seem to dominate. Vectan powders could be an option if you can find a source.

W231 and the similar HP38 work fine and meter great - problem is:  they are very dirty in guns that have to run 100% through 200 rounds - perhaps these powders are better left to the bullseye crowd.  Same with red dot and Unique - works fine, but its dirty and kind of "old school" and less than ideal. Sorry if I stepped on some toes.

Just about all the pistol powders (and many shotgun powders) except the very fastest and very slowest "will work OK" with a 180 in .40S&W.

You have to qualify your request with qualities you desire such as soft, snappy, clean, accurate, Minor, Major, inexpensive, published safe load, SAAMI length, IPSC length, etc. Then maybe somebody can narrow down some suggestions.