Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Silent Captured Spring: Changing Springs?

CJW

I need to fiddle with springs on my SCS, but I don't know which one I will end up needing. What I'd like to do is test a few out at the range until I get reliable bolt-lock, but I can only do that if it is safe to shoot a few test rounds through the gun without reapplying Loctite to the main hex screw on the SCS during tests.

Anybody done that? Is it possible to shoot 5 or 10 rounds through a non-Loctited SCS without destroying anything important? :)

You'll find that the loctite residue applied at the factory will make the screw plenty hard to re-install. I forgot to re-apply and put 2 matches on various spring combos- probably about 600 rounds altogether- and nothing moved. You'll be fine.

Just make sure you heat that sucker up before you try and unscrew it the first time.

Yeah, I watched their video, so propane torch for the screw, and acetone for cleaning off the gunk.

So, do you think it makes sense to leave the residue on until I am done testing, then clean and reapply when I am completely done?

You'll understand when you get the screw back on for the first time; it's not going anywhere!

Forget about it for testing purposes and pay attention to your spring selection. Be sure to report back with your ammo/load and spring selection and then locktite to your heart's content.

Well, what I need to tune is a Stretch-16 with the included SST gas block and an RCA low-mass steel BCG (more or less—titanium firing pin and Gibbz side-charger special cam pin). First function test cycled great but locked open maybe a quarter of the time on an empty mag. Ammo is 69gr Black Hills. I figure if I set up for that, the 55gr Atlanta Arms will be no problem.

The RCA was off a prize table and I only just realized that some of their carriers come with the adjustable gas key—I hadn't even thought to look for that—so I may be able to tune things without changing springs at all. I have to go have a closer look...

Either way, my g/f has a pinned 14.5" with a Syrac adjustable and, I think, a Young's low-mass BCG pushing a JP SCS. That will probably only run 55gr FMJ, but it doesn't lock open even with the Syrac at full gas, so I will definitely be fiddling with that one.