Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empties Hanging Up in the Chambers

bruce282

I got a Ruger GP100 4" SS wheelegun. Maybe 400 rounds through it, most of them .357. When I hit the extractor the empies (between 2 and 5) hang up and will not drop out. This tends to get embarassing at an IPSC match, but what the hell. I'm using CCI Blazer with the al. cases. One of the other folks told me to switch to brass cases rounds and the problem would go away. Also mentioned that I should have the cylinders reamed a little to make reloading easier. I use HKS speedloaders, this my home defense gun, so I'm staying away from moonclips and such, I'd just like to get the reload time down into single digits. :wub:

But even so it was a blast.

Bruce

Open the cylinder all the way, invert the gun fully and give the ejector rod a stout rap with your dominant hand. If you hold the gun in a less less than vertical position and milk the ejector rod the cases will not clear. Eventually, you'll get one stuck behind the ejector star.

What Bones said, plus if you've shot .38 Specials in it there may be some residue where the mouth of the .38 case is that might be the culprit. Get a chamber brush (NOT a bore brush) and a non-rotating cleaning rod, make sure the chambers have some solvent of some kind in them, stick the brush in and twist it so the brush turns inside the chamber. And, like in A Clockwork Orange, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of the old in-and-out. :)

Get yourself an Allison Speed Brush and use it between stages. It's a do-hickey that's got six nylon chamber brushes on a handle that fits the spacing of the chambers in the cylinder. You can clean all six chambers at once.