Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 loads for 200gr LSWC

Vitaly

Vitaly,

I know you want to run 200's but if you decide to drop down to 180's, I'm having fantastically good luck with 180g TC Lasercasts and Titegroup.  Makes major with no signs of excessive pressure and feeds flawlessly.  I'll dig out the load if you're interested.

Ditto on being careful with the short OAL, heavy bullets and TG.  One set back bullet and you could be in a heap of trouble.  I'm running at 1.2" and I think that's helping my pressure situation considerably.  Watch your primers and brass really closely.  We don't want you to be another 40 S&W ballistics test.  :)

Regards,

E

Guest bulm5

Vitaly, If you are going to load short with a forty, I strongly sugest that you go with a slower burning powder. From your statement above, it seem that you are goign to load to standard lenght with a fast powder and a heavy bullet. If this is the case,  DO NOT!!!!!!!

I have to apologize for the confusion and time it took people to answer my question. Since I have been reloading 200gr SWC for my .45, in typing the error went naturally to this amount(also because of number of tries it took me to finally post the original message). I’ve just started reloading for .40 and the data I’ve been looking for is for 175gr SWC in .40… I would never even consider using 200gr bullet in .40… Sorry about all that.

Case support in XD barrel is kind of tricky, if the OAL is slightly more than 1.2 the slide does not return fully upward upon feeding the round. This is my theory though, there may be another factor as well. Any experience with this gun?

Vitaly,

Another thing you might try to reduce leading is JB Bore paste.  ($7 a tube from Midway) It does an excellent job of cleaning up minor surface roughness.  It will also dramatically speed up cleaning the lead out.  You'll see a substantial improvement in the surface finish of your bore the first time you use it.

E

Well, getting rid of the leading is not really a problem since I'm using the Outers "Foul-Out" that does the job otherwise humanly impossible.

I am using just one reloading manual "Modern Reloading" by R. Lee. Seems to be all right except it's not as extensive as I would like it to be.

I have ordered some of the Hardcast bullets along with some electroplated once.  Let's see what's up with those.

All in all, transition from a single action trigger (no take-up) to a Glock-type one is a major change. Currently I am experiencing much frustration with that while knowing that the gun is capable of delivering decent accuracy in itself...