Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGs 158gr JHP

Williamb

Wondering why this bullet is constructed with a copper jacket but has a nose of lead showing similar to a JSP but in HP more correctly called a semi- jacketed HP. Most JHPs I am familiar with are totally copper with no lead showing which are meant for target shooting. If this was meant as a self defense round I would not ask the question.

Does anyone know the advantages of this type of construction in a target bullet?

Edited by Williamb

Don't assume that all MG bullets are only good for competition. They make a great 380 bullet and I don't know many people that shoot 380 competitively.

I have a friend that does forensic bullet analysis for the Highway Patrol. I shot a 124gr MG 9mm JHP and a 165gr 40c JHP into the water tank and retrieved the projectiles. Both performed well enough that I have no reservations about carrying either for self defense.

I have retrieved 124gr Montana Gold hps out of sand traps and ballistic blocks and I could reload and shoot them again. The rifling is the only visible on the bullet that would otherwise look perfect.

I would NOT use these for self defense unless it is all you have.

Now that we have agreed they are not designed for SD work still wondering what are the advantages of a SJHP for target work.

After posting this I called MG directly. The person on the phone confirmed that none of their bullets are designed for defensive purposes. When I asked her for the design advantages of a SJHP she asked me to e-mail their tech which I have done. I will post if I get an answer.

Edited by Williamb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah keep trying I would like to hear the answer the company gives you.

I have tried a number of times both with calls and e-mails. While I like their bullets and use thousands I don't like they way they handled this simple question.

Yeah keep trying I would like to hear the answer the company gives you.

I have tried a number of times both with calls and e-mails. While I like their bullets and use thousands I don't like they way they handled this simple question.

Yeah that's always super irritating when you have a company with a great product and their lousy customer service tarnishes what would otherwise be a great business. Got all the pieces of the puzzle together except for the last one.

Don't assume that all MG bullets are only good for competition. They make a great 380 bullet and I don't know many people that shoot 380 competitively.

I have a friend that does forensic bullet analysis for the Highway Patrol. I shot a 124gr MG 9mm JHP and a 165gr 40c JHP into the water tank and retrieved the projectiles. Both performed well enough that I have no reservations about carrying either for self defense.

Well enough?

I'm not sure shooting rounds into a water tanks proves anything, and would hardly qualify you as a SME.

I've always been under the impression that MG Gold HP should not be used for self defense.

~g

Can't believe I still don't have a response from the company. I have sent them another e-mail and a call and nothing. I'm really surprised.

They are probably busy filling my order :)

There are about a thousand threads floating around the internet about the topic, one thing that is note worthy is that they are clearly bulk bullets (and won't compare well to high quality HP's), non-bonded and with questionable expansion results at best (ok, some say they are acceptable).

~g

Can't believe I still don't have a response from the company. I have sent them another e-mail and a call and nothing. I'm really surprised.

There are about a thousand threads floating around the internet about the topic, one thing that is note worthy is that they are clearly bulk bullets (and won't compare well to high quality HP's), non-bonded and with questionable expansion results at best (ok, some say they are acceptable).

~g

Well if you read through the whole thread MG HPs are not designed for self defense. That was confirmed by the company. With respect to my specific question I was not able to find a single thread on the internet discussing the design benefits for this particular bullet from MG. If you find one I would be appreciative if you could point it out.

Thanks

I spoke to the owner at MG a few years back and talked about his bullets he was irritated at a post he had seen criticizing his bullets as losing their jackets in media tests - his point was he sells accurate bullets and makes no claims about them being SD bullets. They are as accurate as any jacketed bullets I know of - particularly the 124g 9m JHP.

~g

Well if you read through the whole thread MG HPs are not designed for self defense. That was confirmed by the company. With respect to my specific question I was not able to find a single thread on the internet discussing the design benefits for this particular bullet from MG. If you find one I would be appreciative if you could point it out.

Thanks

Understood, and no I did not see anything on that particular bullets.

I did shoot them an email earlier to, and they did reply within two hours with "we developed them for target shooting", I'd think that applies across there entire line.... but YMMV! The response may have been faster based on my yearly spend with MG, I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

~g