Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber (or SIG?) 9mm for first gun?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congtrats on the new gun. Good mags are a must for competition. Wilson is the one I use and have never had a problem with. Also I put a Wilson Combat magwell on my Sig, it works great.

Pwslmt, do you have any pics you can share of the gun with the magwell?

My background check got cleared yesterday, so I now have the gun! I did a field strip while watching some videos so it's all cleaned/oiled and ready to go. I was playing with some snap caps and everything works silky smooth with the oil.

Interestingly, I didn't like the feel of this gun in my hands despite all the other 1911s and Sigs I've checked out. I was looking at new grips, backstraps, and even wondering if maybe I would just sell it and get the CZ. But then I figured I should watch the (Practical shooting channel?) on YouTube and see what they had to say about holding a 1911.

Long story not so short, I have a new way of holding the gun that feels so much more natural and easy, and makes the gun fit like a glove with no modifications :) It should help with recoil or getting back on target too, and even somehow even led me to start aiming with both eyes open (they didn't talk about that). It is a cool channel and I'm looking forward to watching many more episodes.

I am planning on getting the Safariland 5198 holster with the 6281HDA 2" drop, and a $20 triple 'bullets out' mag pouch'. I figure this stuff should hold me over until I figure out what I really want, and total cost is under $60 for those 3 things. I might be able to use my old carpenter's belt if needed.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I love it!!

I only had a half hour so I didn't mess with the sights, just shot. I aimed at a bull and made adjustments to walk the bullet closer to the center, so each one started with some misses. The circled X's are roughly where I ended up aiming to hit the bull. I guess it would have made more sense to aim at the bull for consistency and to measure how far off the sights are... :huh:

The target looks like a mess, but once I figured out where to aim I found the gun to be really consistent. The last thing I shot at was the little diamond to the right of center, from 10yds. 2-3 shots to find the ink, then 2 solid groupings that I am pretty happy with.

This gun is awesome. Totally the right choice.

First%20day%20with%20the%20Sig_zps4ew3dc

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been 2 weeks, and honestly I spent a lot of that time second guessing my purchase. However, after going to the range and renting a CZ, then shooting my 1911 the next day, I am totally hooked on the Sig. I shot in my first USPSA contest Sunday and first steel match last night. This gun is unbelievable. Very straight, smooth, and fast. I love it.

I want to get a second gun for backup, or just to have something different (high capacity) but I also don't want to stop shooting the Sig.

I love it!!

I only had a half hour so I didn't mess with the sights, just shot. I aimed at a bull and made adjustments to walk the bullet closer to the center, so each one started with some misses. The circled X's are roughly where I ended up aiming to hit the bull. I guess it would have made more sense to aim at the bull for consistency and to measure how far off the sights are... :huh:

The target looks like a mess, but once I figured out where to aim I found the gun to be really consistent. The last thing I shot at was the little diamond to the right of center, from 10yds. 2-3 shots to find the ink, then 2 solid groupings that I am pretty happy with.

This gun is awesome. Totally the right choice.

First%20day%20with%20the%20Sig_zps4ew3dc

That's trigger pull problems, not likely the gun. Focus on pulling the trigger just barely hard enough to make the gun go off and pressing the trigger straight back (helps to not bend at joint near the tip of your finger)

That's trigger pull problems, not likely the gun. Focus on pulling the trigger just barely hard enough to make the gun go off and pressing the trigger straight back (helps to not bend at joint near the tip of your finger)

The gun comes with an adjustable rear sight, and it was pinned over to the left side and all the way down. I didn't really look at it until after I shot the first time. Just eyeballing it on my workbench I was able to get it pretty close, and over the past 450 rounds I've got it dialed in pretty good.

The gun comes with an adjustable rear sight, and it was pinned over to the left side and all the way down. I didn't really look at it until after I shot the first time. Just eyeballing it on my workbench I was able to get it pretty close, and over the past 450 rounds I've got it dialed in pretty good.

Down and Left is classic trigger yanking problems for a righty, as long as you're sure it's the sight and not the technique.

Yours Truly,

Former 1911 trigger yanker.