Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting the gun

In J Michael Plaxco's book he says "Get your body in position, come up in a natural gun mount with your cheekbone on the gun, and verify alignment on the target.  At that point, rotate the stock down off your face while leaving the muzzle in position-the front sight stays superimposed on the target.  When the gun comes back up on the start signal, the end of the gun barrel stays fixed in position rather than coming down and back up.  The sensation is that you're pivoting the gun on the front sight."

This seems to work okay for me when the front sight is on the end of the barrel, but what do you do for open sighted AR's and scoped guns?  

Exactly the same thing, scopes or iron.  I learned a lot about the mount watching Plaxco's shotgun video.  Absolutely minimal movement when he mounts the shotgun.  The gun just seemed to pivot at the end of the handguard and that's it.  The muzzle should go from the ready position to the target in a straight line.   I see people do some funny mounts with all sorts of movement at both the muzzle and the butt.  I think people see movies and want to make their gun mount a spectacular exercise.  It shouldn't be! point A to point B is what you want.

I'd say natural point of aim is also important.  That's where the gun will want to go so you might as well take advantage of it.  Also bring the sight to your head not vice versa.  During the mount look at the target and just wait for the scope to superimpose itself on the target.

[Amateur Night Mode ON]

BTW, putting a flashlight in the end of the barrel is a huge help in working out a proper mount.  The idea is to follow a seam between the wall and the celing as you mount the gun (for clays shooting).  Keeping it just in one spot is probably what you want for 3 gun.

I think I stole this from BE.