Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first open gun

roklock

Hello,

Looking to play in open next year and wanted some opinions...

I am looking at used and I am seeing some economically priced 38 super or SC's coming up for sale. As much as $1K less than an 9major and they are including mags with the 38 supers!

I am thinking I could be further ahead buying one of these "dinosaurs" and buying brass and components to shoot (practice using dot) and be further ahead. From what I am seeing on starline I would only be paying $10/K more than 9mm. That's a lot of practicing.

Thoughts?

Buy that gun and shoot 9mm in it. Best of the two worlds. That's how I entered the world of 9mm.

PS. I promised myself not to get involved into these discussions again...

"But they pulled me back in!" :)

Edited by Foxbat

You can always start with the super and then throw 9mm barrel in it down the road too. Would only cost you couple hundo if you can fit the barrel on your own. that is of course, if you don't want to shoot 9mm in the super barrel..... Already lots of talk about this lately on the forums so I won't comment on that.

Do a search 9 vs super and read read read. Make your choise. If you plan on buying 9mm brass from starline and only loading that, go super. Like u said a bit more per k but you get more case volume opening up slower powders. If you save 1000$ on a used super gun you could spend a few hundred getting a 9 barrel comp fit and then do a side by side w the same gun go w what YOU like.

Yeah, been doing lots of reading and by a very large margin, 9 major is clearly becoming the choice....BUT because of that prices of those are at a premium. Based on some feed back on this thread I want to research shooting 9 out of a 38 super and also if anything will need done to the mags.

Will also be looking at what it would take to rebarrel to 9mm if I would choose...a few hundred am doesn't seem to bad

Appreciate all of the replies...

Edited by roklock

Either load long for a 2011 mags or some people run mag spacers. Shoot what you feel comfortable with doing. I've never shot 9 out of a super but I plan on it once my guns back from my gunsmith. Just to see if I can make maj w the holes/comp and powder combo I'm running. If I can get it running good on 9 I'll use 9 for practice, clean the stuffin out the barrel then super for comps. If not no biggie. Ill see how the brass looks for my load and after getting fired from MY chamber. I have shot 40 loaded long from a 10mm but that's a bit different. Lol.

Edit to add. Btw just curious but are you planning on olly running new 9 brass? If so what made you go that route?

Edited by Open1215

Edit to add. Btw just curious but are you planning on olly running new 9 brass? If so what made you go that route?

Nope, actually that is an error in my "free cash" to practice with.

Hello,

Looking to play in open next year and wanted some opinions...

I am looking at used and I am seeing some economically priced 38 super or SC's coming up for sale. As much as $1K less than an 9major and they are including mags with the 38 supers!

I am thinking I could be further ahead buying one of these "dinosaurs" and buying brass and components to shoot (practice using dot) and be further ahead. From what I am seeing on starline I would only be paying $10/K more than 9mm. That's a lot of practicing.

Thoughts?

Just so you know, many of us are using once fired brass for 9 major so we are paying $20-30/thousand tops for brass. That's where the savings comes in my case. I have loaded a batch of FC brass to a 175pf with a 115 jhp in 9 major 8 times without seeing a single split case.

Yeah, that's where my math is off. Still thinking I could try open at a lower cost using getting a used 38 super and could rebarrel to 9 major if I am going to continue with it.

Edited by roklock