Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bend Oregon Training

Putty

I just spent a weekend down in Bend, OR with Scott S. (Loves2shoot) taking an IPSC training class. I am pretty much a newb shooter that wanted a solid foundation to build on, and Scott answered the call.

The first day he went over gear, loads, draws and dryfire runs.

The second day was a steel match in the high desert with a great bunch of shooters and he walked me through the whole match with tips and course management. After the shoot we shot about a 600 rounds with basics (draws, shooting groups, seeing the shots, grip, stance, etc.) :blink:

The last day (1k rounds) we worked on transistions, reloads, weak hand , strong hand, stage shooting mngt., and alot more I am most likely forgetting.

Let me tell you, Scott is a first class guy and a top rate shooter whose positive enthusiasm for the sport makes for a great instructor. I felt like he took me from not hitting anything to really understanding what I was doing, what I needed to do, to actualizing it. Although my skin is gone from my left hand, :lol: I would drive the 7 hours down there again, for another class.

Thanks alot Scott.

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for coming down and giving it a go. It was great to see the improvement all around. Keep those shots under control, your movements with purpose, and forget about being fast and you'll go a long ways.

Look out Northern Idaho, you have a new IPSC contender in the making :)

ps. That skatebord tape can be a b*tch after a thousand rounds or so ;) and the Michael Jackson one glove look went out a loooonnnnggg time ago ;) I hope it heals fast :)

DVC ~ Scott

I could sure use some of that :)

I live in Beaverton, OR and would like to get some training at some point before I get too far along (had my first match Saturday at Four Corners in Salem). Can you give some info on the course?

-Shawn

I could sure use some of that :)

I live in Beaverton, OR and would like to get some training at some point before I get too far along (had my first match Saturday at Four Corners in Salem). Can you give some info on the course?

-Shawn

I sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it.

DVC ~ Scott

aXXman,

The Douglas Ridge Rifle Club out near Boring is starting a training series of matches. There are several good folks out there that are very good instructors and are doing a great job getting these new matches going. Also be sure to check out the Columbia Cascade Section, you are welcome to join any of the upcomng matches at these clubs too!

Norm

Thanks nbright,

I would like to be able to shoot something pretty much any weekend. I don't always know when I will be free, so it's good to have several different places where I could shoot some kind of match.

-Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got some really good instruction this weekend from Scott out in Bend. I have only been really shooting a pistol since January, and he showed me some things I was doing terribly wrong.

This was what I really needed to make it so I will practice. I had gotten to the point where I didn't really want to do much repetition of things like draws or mag changes since I knew I was doing them with no solid technique. The thing that suprised me is how much my grip needed to change. I could not even get my hands into that position and also see the proper sight picture on Friday, but when I got up this morning, I still had the marks on my hands and for some reason I could do it.

Anyway I had a lot of fun at the match in Bend (they had the Nationals there a few years ago, so there are some neat props and whatnot to shoot at), and the practice afterward.

I would really recommend Scott as an instructor; he really knew what he wanted to teach me, and was good at seeing where I was at. Besides the stance, grip, and mechanical stuff, he also really stressed seeing each shot, and also prepping the trigger, which I never would have thought about doing at speed before, but it really helps transition speed. I am rambling... I had a great time and am still pumped about it.

-Shawn

Yah Scott's a good instructor but doesn't respect his elders and tends to fart in mixed company :lol:

I felt the same way as you did, why the heck practice with no real idea of how to do it properly? Its like pee in the wind. Scott will say its good to pee in wind as young barhoppers must learn to time the shifting winds of change. :o

Hopefully I can get down there again this summer as long as I can sleep in a campground and not some lamer hotel.

Thanks for coming down and the great work ethic Shawn. It was such a condensed session, I hope you got a good place to start. We crammed a lot in, so don't feel like you should remeber it all :) Don't ever lose that accuracy and keep things at your pace and you'll rocket past the competition. DVC ~ Scott