Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unburned powder in action and chamber?

p5200

This is the first load I have tried with my Kimber Stainless II. 45 acp. Hornady 230gn.fmj, Win brass, CCI primers and Accurate #2 powder. I used 4.8grs. of powder, and an OAL of 1.260" using LEE 4 die set with light taper crimp the press is a Forster Coax. I seated and taper crimped where the rounds were too long to fit the mag. I then, reseated to 1.260" but, did not re crimp again could that be the cause of the unburned powder? powder charge maybe too light or a combination of both? The only other powder I have right now is W231 to try. Funny thing is, at 10yds. 5 shot group had one wild flier probably me, and the other 4 rounds made one hole measuring under 1". Thanks for all advice! smile.gif Forgot, I also have Titegroup powder but that stuff eats up my RCBS Chargemaster hopper really fast.

The starting load seems a bit light. Lee recommends a minimum load of 5.0g with a max of 5.6g at 1.230 OAL. You're a bit longer than that as well.

Crimp should have nothing to do with un-burned powder in your example

You can protect your powder hopper by going to Staples and buying a package of Wilson Jones Transparent ViewTabs. The clear ones are a very pale blue/gray. Empty and clean your hopper. Cut the tab and spline off one of the dividers, coil and insert into the hopper. Cut to length. It will uncoil and line the walls. It impervious to the Nitro in the powder and will not melt or stain. It also has some anti-static properties.

You can protect your powder hopper by going to Staples and buying a package of Wilson Jones Transparent ViewTabs. The clear ones are a very pale blue/gray. Empty and clean your hopper. Cut the tab and spline off one of the dividers, coil and insert into the hopper. Cut to length. It will uncoil and line the walls. It impervious to the Nitro in the powder and will not melt or stain. It also has some anti-static properties.

Thanks for the tip! :cheers: