Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting left...

Just observed something which gives me a lot of question marks in my head: I do a lot of dry fire now and two times a week live fire. Currently I'm focussing on the fundamentals, means: grip, stance, sight picture, transitions. No matches. What I'm struggling with is the target focus as I was using sight focus until I started shooting IPSC. So let's train ...

I started with the very slow version of the Bill Drill at 8meters/yards today, looking at sights lifting, proper grip....one shot per second. Tight group (8cm diameter), but shifted left from the A-zone. Tried once more, same result. Tried at 10m - still the same. Even slower - looked worse. Problem with the gun? Closed my left eye, hard sight focus - centered, small group. Pretty good. So it's not the trigger, or the gun....

Then I pushed for more speed, ~2 shots per second - an hey: small group, centered. So it looks like that when I take my time something with my sight picture happens (dominant eye?), but when I try to be "fast" not.

Any ideas what's wrong? I've a clue but perhaps someone can confirm it......and give me an idea how to overcome that....thanks!

I started with the very slow version of the Bill Drill at 8meters/yards today, looking at sights lifting, proper grip....one shot per second. Tight group (8cm diameter), but shifted left from the A-zone. Tried once more, same result. Tried at 10m - still the same. Even slower - looked worse. Problem with the gun? Closed my left eye, hard sight focus - centered, small group. Pretty good. So it's not the trigger, or the gun....

8 cm (3.14") at 8 meters is not a good group for 6 shots. I would recommend working on your trigger control first.

The dot drill is good for working on trigger control: draw, 6 shots within a 2 in (5cm) dia circle within 5 seconds from 7 yards/meters.

• 2 weeks later...

Some update - could reproduce that by standing not properly, means my left foot ahead of the right one. Also I observed that the gun was before my right eye. Obviously this forces my right and dominant eye to take over when given enough time. In the mean time I worked a lot on my stance and grip so that phenomenom disapperaed until I provoke it. Quite interesting as I started reading BEs book this week which in some sense seems to confirm my findings.

8 cm (3.14") at 8 meters is not a good group for 6 shots. I would recommend working on your trigger control first.

The dot drill is good for working on trigger control: draw, 6 shots within a 2 in (5cm) dia circle within 5 seconds from 7 yards/meters.

I know that this is not a good group at all, but I can hold that until 25m. The interesting thing is that it moved from being left from the center when shooting slow to centered when pushing.