Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting lead from New Springfield XD-40

Vitaly

I am trying to figure out whether I should be using lead reloads for shooting the new Springfield XD-40. Apparently (visibly and reportedly) it has conventional rifling in its barrel. However, after mere 50-60 rounds fired with Lead SWC barrel gets heavily leaded. After that the slide doesn't lock on the fed cartridge all the way forward and needs a little push. Any remedies?

Immediately quit shooting lead.  I don't know if they have the polygon rifling.  I am pretty sure that your lead is building up at the front of the chamber.  Your loads could be the problem too.  If your gun isn't going into battery (fully), you risk a Kboom.

I'd ensure that I got all the lead out of the front of the chamber before shooting anything.

Since I've had no previous experience with lead bullets for .40 I wouldn't know the Precision brand. I have spoken with couple of people who supposedly know their stuff and they told me that the kind of lead I've been using is too soft.

I have quit it alltogether though, and now I'm reloading 180 JHP. Screw the soft lead.

Ok, so you quit the hard lead and went to Jacketed.... did you try Hard  cast lead?  I've shot hard cast lead through Glocks, and many other guns, no problems. Soft lead is night and day different.

I didn't try the hard lead, but I'm trying to get ready for the next IDPA, and that doesn't leave me much time for tempering with mail-order companies. I would very much like to know, though, what kind of hard cast bullets (and shapes) can I use in the nearest future.

• 3 months later...

I've had no problems with hard cast lead 180's in my XD40. Just tried some moly coated lead the other day and the clean up is even easier than with the uncoated.  Put 300 rounds thru it in about 45 minutes on a 95 deg day with very little leading.

(Edited by DblTap at 1:17 pm on Aug. 27, 2002)

*Soft* lead in an autopistol is a definite no no.  Don't even think about putting any more of that through your gun.  Flex is dead on about blowing up your blaster.

Hard cast lead *may* work out depending on your barrel.  The only way to know is to buy a box and see.  You also may be able fix a badly leading barrel by lapping it out with the JB Bore compound, Tubb's special grit, or a similar product.

The only reason I am shooting lead is that I got an absolutely smoking deal on it from a guy who quit shooting Limited.  That's it.  (I'm lucky, in that my Limited gun doesn't lead badly.)  Otherwise, I would NOT be screwing with it.  It's not worth the time and hassle of scrubbing lead for the $1 a box you save.  

E

• 4 weeks later...

I did try, as was suggested, to buy a box of Hardcast and load it up. The results were about the same. After going through some 120 rounds, gun started returning “in battery” every fourth time or so. No idea why or how. Maybe the answer is barrel treatment? In the meantime I’ve had much luck with electroplated bullets.

Would like to thank everyone for the insights!

This place is wonderful.

(Edited by Vitaly at 6:40 pm on Sep. 23, 2002)

It was in one of the threads here (maybe Flex can help ;)) where BE (?) suggested the the front of the chamber could be too sharp and needs to be dehorned a bit.  IIRC, the shooter had the same problems with lead build up just in front of the chamber. Hope this helps. :)

• 1 month later...

I have used the Birchwood Casey lead remover cloth for years, and it works great....also something called wonder cloth or something similar, that I understand works the same.

This impregnated cloth leterally grabs the majority of the lead  and pulls lead strips out of the barrel.  It is actually a cloth material......not the brass screen type of lead remover.  Cuts the work way down......not harmfull to barrels..great stuff

Paul Prochko