Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus through the whole stage

Catfish

I'm currently having a total blast making the transition from IDPA to USPSA. One of the biggest and obvious differences is the length of the stages, especially the field courses.

Going into my log book after today's shoot at the Dbl Tap range is a reminder to keep my mental focus throughout the length of the stage. 28 round stage, the first 16 rounds were fairly technical on your footwork and where to engage the targets. The last twelve were rather simple. I shot the first 16 rounds with the 2 reloads (shooting L-10) I needed like I was on fire. Perfect. And then I relaxed - the 'hard' part was done.

Lesson learned, and I get to chalk one up to experience as I continue to travel the path. All in all, a very good day. B)

Ironic little topic here.

BE I don't know if you remember these conversations, but we used to talk about "finding yourself" as you transition between positions or points in a stage.

It's so easy to go on autopilot after the first "section" of a stage is done, or to your point, when the most difficult part of a stage is done.

Great point - and a valuable learning.

JB

It sounds as if you could relax FIRST, then just shoot the stage.

It may be that you don't recognize that you're relaxed until you have gone past "the hard part"

Next time, don't think about the hard part as "hard". Just pace yourself according to he shooting problem that is presented to you.

It's all easy, to one degree or another.

Easy to say, eh?

Thanks guys for the comments -

I'll add after some more reflection that I don't know that 'relax' is the right word to use. I think a more accurate description would be that I let my *focus* relax, and not necessarily my body. I am fairly confident that my body as a whole is relaxed throughout - but I can visualize on that stage how I let my focus drift.

You're right, Jerry, it IS all easy. We're the ones who make it hard.