Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt gun fun match April 30

Spring "Blow out the Cobwebs" Bolt Rifle Fun Match - April 30 2005

Manhattan Wildlife Association is putting on a Spring "Blow out the Cobwebs" rifle match April 30, 2005. We are trying to have this on a piece of land adjacent to the range so we have more room to shoot. If that doesn't work out it may have to be run on the Logan range.

This is a FUN match event, and runs in a totally different format. It is akin to a round of sporting clays, except with a rifle. The course (we are working on securing a piece of land vs. having it at the range) is a mild hike with designated shooting points along the path. At each point you will be required to engage steel targets at various distances - some known and some unknown. Most positions will be up to you to resolve, some will be mandated (such as offhand, kneeling/sitting, etc.)

All of the steel is reactive and self resetting. Your score is your number of hits at the end of the day.

There are two classes right now (we may add more if needed) Hunter class and Precision. Hunter is for factory skinny barrel rifles only - no target knobs, etc. This will be 40 targets and all will be known distances. Most targets will be around 1 1 /2 to 2 moa.

Precision class is open to all rifles and is intended for any heavy barrel rifle with any scope, subject to the caliber limits (to preserve the steel - calibers are limited to 6mm to 30 cal, 3200fps max for all classes). This class will have to engage all of the Hunter targets plus some harder ones. Total round count will be 60. You may shoot both classes if time permits.

I do not know if anyone on this board will be interested in this event - but I thought I would post this anyway. We will have prizes donated from local businesses that will be awarded with random draw.

This is the first event like this to be put on, so hopefully maybe some of you are locals and can support it. If we get enough interest it could be put on more often.

Also, if anyone has comments about it please post them - is this a good concept for a match, or a total waste of time? The goal of the whole thing is to appeal to folks that wouldn't normally shoot a match and maybe get some new people into the various sports -

Plus I was getting tired of hearing "boom....Boom.....BOOM!!" during hunting season as people missed their critters. So I decided to spearhead this match.

The main page for this is:

www.istdesigns.com/riflematch/April05.html

You will find the match flyer, match entry form, safety rules, and results pages there.

There is also a new forum with a bit more about the match that will be updated as we get closer:

www.istdesigns.com/forums

Thank you!