Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson front sight

brian45acp

I bought the Cajun sight set and love them for my sp-01. I dont like that there is already a notch in the front sight though. I used some loctite and now that little bitty set screw wont budge. Prior to tightening the set screw when I first pushed the roll pin in I was able to do so using a punch and hand pressure which seemed a bit too easy. Once I secured the set screw and the loctite cured it was impossible with that tiny allen to ever get that set screw to loosen or tighten again. So basically it seems its a one chance install and that screw isnt ever moving again. To check how secure the roll pin was I punched it out and back in and seems the set screw is stuck in such a way it now allows just enough interference to make the roll pin nice and tight. I just put a bit more loctite on the roll pin and put it back and left it. I just dont know how much pressure is needed from that roll pin on the bushing area in question. That set screw is seriously the worlds smallest allen I have ever seen. The wrench is like 1/2 long and its so hard to feel any torque when tightening it because the wrench just flexes.

My concern is all this talk about the bushing coming loose and it seems these pre drilled sights contribute to that. Odd part is that I cant see any bushing in that dovetail when the front sight is removed. The notch for the roll pin in the slide doesnt show any bushing at all. I expected to see the top side of a bushing with the sight and roll pin removed. I have no idea how the roll pin can hold the bushing in place if its not touching it.

I was going to call Dawson and see if they can make me a new front sight exactly like the Cajun one but no notch and drill/pin it. I was freaked out using a drill bit in the slide but I did my P-01 and it was super easy with the CZC drill bit.

What do you guys think?

Edited by brian45acp

Yeah I tried holding the underside of the sight next to a flame but no go. I dont think it is an issue since the screw seems to be frozen in the perfect position to allow some interference on the roll pin.

I am going to call Dawson today and see if they can make a sight with out that darn cut or set screw in it. The sight it self needs to be a bit longer as well since to align the notch with the cross pin it is not actually tight to the end of the dove tail. I really like this sight and maybe I am over thinking this and its not an issue. I just dont want that bushing to come out. From what I am reading on here that is a big problem and not a replaceable part.

Follow up:

Called CGW and was advised to remove original roll pin and replace with a new one. I did and it pounded in with a fair amount of force so front sight seems more secure. I guess using the original roll pins is sometimes the issue. My set screw on the front sight is locked up solid but doesnt matter since its locked in such a way that its applying just enough interference with the roll pin everything fits tight.