Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Home Build DPMS AR

Tman33_99

A few weeks ago, I posted a pic of the AR that I built. The upper was put together by DPMS, but I built the lower and just finished mounting a Tacpoint red dot. At first the Tacpoint sat a little low, so I added a 1/2" riser rail, and it co-witnesses very nice now. Will hopefully get it to the range and zeroed very soon.

Stock Extended

AR%20Red%20Dot.jpg

Stock Collapsed

AR%20Red%20Dot%202.jpg

Co-Witness w/Front Sight

AR%20Co-Witness.jpg

Left Side of Receiver

AR%20Receiver%20Left.jpg

Right Side of Receiver

AR%20Receiver%20Right.jpg

Nice looking rifle & the co-witnessed dot is a cool touch. Good work.

"but I built the lower"

Do you mean built or assembled? What internals did you use? How is the trigger? Reason I ask is that I build lowers from raw materials as well as from 80% complete forgings & castings. Was the lower built from an 80% complete? For those interested, take a look at the following websites:

www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

ar15.com in "build it yourself" section - look for "80%"

for 40% finished forgings, there is a company called Les Baer (google search) that sells lowers with the magwell broached

For raw forgings, try a company called "DS Arms". Anyone trying to save $$$ by making your own lower, don't bother. Takes a lot of time & tooling but very worthwhile.

Carlos,

To be correct I should have stated I assembled the lower. I picked up the stripped forged lower at a local gunshow, and got a DPMS lower parts kit, and the 6 pos. stock from Midway. The trigger is a little on the heavy side, but it is very crisp. Maybe one of these days I will play with different trigger and hammer springs. I have just finished assembling a 2nd lower with an ace skeletonized stock. This fall when my funds have recovered I will work on an upper to put on it for Tactical division.

Again, good work Tman. Here is a LINK to a "how-to" website that might lighten up the trigger. Before I get flamed, the expensive triggers are really nice & worth every cent. However, if your funds are tapped out from the build (and you obviously know your way around the AR very well by now) then maybe this link can improve the pull with just some careful smithing. Regards, C.

• 2 months later...
I'd really like to hear how the dot holds up in bright daylight.

Finally got out to the range with it this last weekend. The dot on max is very visiable in the sun. I need to spend more time with it to see how it holds zero, and see if the sun washes it out from other angles.