Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mags

Flexmoney

Flexmoney,

Here it is. I'd be happy to retake photos and send you close-ups in a larger format. I threw this together for a friend and didn't give it a lot of attention. If it's going to go on a website somewhere, I wouldn't mind making a better "presentation". Just let me know what you need.

Regards,

John

The pic with 7 mags, shown from the back, illustrates the various generations of Glock model 19 magazines. The pic showing the side profiles is there to illustrate the taper a bit more clearly.

From the left:

1. First Generation NFML (non-full metal lined). Easily identified by the U shaped cutout at the top rear of the mag. There is no base pad retainer on these models and basepads do not interchange with newer mags. Not great for competition because they don't reliably drop-free. One exception, in my experience, is the G20 10mm mags in which all designs drop-free.

2 and 3. First Gen. FML. (Drop-free) Note 90 degree metal corners in notch at top. Orange mags were LEO training mags that were "found" in a Glock warehouse during the ban and released to GSSF shooters. Base pads use retainers. These mags usually drop-free in all models with the random exception of some G21 mags which refuse to cooperate, regardless of how many rounds remain in the magazine or how you hold your tongue when you hit the release.

4. Clinton era bastard. Note "Y" shape of metal notch at top which signifies some further evolution of the drop-free mags. Pre-ban hi caps were available with this profile.

5. Evolved bastard with tapered nose profile. Note 9mm stamping has been raised to make room for "restricted" info on regular mags and "1" (first revision?) near Glock logo at base. This nose profile is most desirable because they allow somewhat faster reloads and, more importantly, they shoot out of the gun with authority.

6. LEO mag with "restricted" info under 9mm and date stamp between witness holes. LEO mags were available tapered and non-tapered. Most LEO mags are not tapered.

7. WooHoo! Latest gen mag with revised #5 follower and tapered nose profile. Goodbye LEO markings and date stamp. As of this date there is nothing newer.

post-22-1109109183_thumb.jpg

Not only that, but if you look inside the top front of the mag, you'll notice the "metal liner" goes all the way to the top of the mag. This is the area below the tip of the top bullet. On the older mags this little tab would get bent out causeing a little bit of drag when it dropped out of the gun.

The latest 40 mags also have a #6 follower. It clips into the top of the spring instead of using a hole where the spring hooks into it.

My mags with the #6 followers seem to really shoot out of the mag well quicker than those with the #5 followers, but I only notice it when I shoot dry (which you should avoid anyway).