Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W IDPA load

mmorel

I use  a 155 lrn by precision over about 3.6 to 3.8 of V V N310. It's about 140 pf at 3.8 . I seat to an OAL of 1.153". This has been an excellent load for steel on plate racks. Very low recoil, almost  no smoke and accurate. You may need a reduced power recoil spring. 10 to 12 pounds works in my Briley.

Cheers,

Norm

I have used a 140gr lead, magma have a mouls as do Lyman, I think.

Try Clays or V V N320. I found these softer shooting than 310 and you can load clays to a slightly lower level. I dont know why bnut thats what I found.

Short load length is best. Try 1.150 or there abouts.

Have fun

I have used a 140gr lead, magma have a moulds as do Lyman, I think.

Try Clays or V V N320. I found these softer shooting than 310 and you can load clays to a slightly lower level. I dont know why bnut thats what I found.

Short load length is best. Try 1.150 or there abouts.

Have fun

• 3 weeks later...

Use Clays and look at the Hogdon published loads for guidance.  N320 is very good buy Clays is less expensive and just as good at the lighter loads.

Norm is right that you will need a much lighter spring than normal. 10 might even be too strong but a good place to start.

GM Iprod is correct with the load length. Shorter is better.

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto on the Clays. FAR exceeds N310, N320, WST and Titegroup for softest shooting (for 125 PF).  

I load 3.4 with jacketed and 3.2 with lead @ 1.180 OAL for a Kimber Target. Both loads make about 130 PF.

The caution with Clays is not to load too tight to minimum PF due to it's variability, a curiosity in itself as accuracy for my loads are fine.

TR