Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith and Wesson 929 .355 vs. .357

1911Prof

The throats on my 929 cylinder are .357. It did not group well with 9mm / .355 bullets. Does much better with .357 sized bullets. SAAMI spec for bore is same for 9mm and .357 and my recent smiths in both are cut the same, so that's a non issue.

In general revolver folks seem to believe that a bullet should be sized to the throat, and my (albeit limited) experience bears this out. My groups at 25 yards shrunk from 6-8" to 2" changing to .357 bullets. YMMV.

Yes, you can load .357 or .358 bullets in the 9mm cartridge. As long as it will fit in the chamber it will work fine, and generally speaking the accuracy will be much better. Beretta's notoriously have barrels that shoot best with a .357 diameter bullet.

I currently load .358 coated 160 LRN in 38 special, 38 short colt, and 9mm. They work fine in my STI 6in steel gun but I have to case gauge them. Depending on the brass some are a little fat. If you have a tight match chamber you will need to make a dummy round and find out what OAL and crimp will work in your gun.

Unless you are running a max pressure load using a bigger bullet will not put you in jeopardy....... :ph34r:.

As always, work up your load....

DougC

No where near max pressure, I am running minor out of a S&W 929 revolver so OAL won't be a problem, the only problem that has been reported with regards to pressure is cases sticking on ejection. I have ordered some .355 and .358 from Blue Bullets., so I guess it is time for experimentation.

Yes, you can load .357 or .358 bullets in the 9mm cartridge. As long as it will fit in the chamber it will work fine, and generally speaking the accuracy will be much better. Beretta's notoriously have barrels that shoot best with a .357 diameter bullet.

I currently load .358 coated 160 LRN in 38 special, 38 short colt, and 9mm. They work fine in my STI 6in steel gun but I have to case gauge them. Depending on the brass some are a little fat. If you have a tight match chamber you will need to make a dummy round and find out what OAL and crimp will work in your gun.

Unless you are running a max pressure load using a bigger bullet will not put you in jeopardy....... :ph34r:.

As always, work up your load....

DougC

Doug,

Is shooting a .358 out of the 929 a lead or jacketed bullet or does it matter?