Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Project Open gun is a go

WidowsSon683

I own several XDm's, including a custom open Steel Challenge gun that Scott built. I have had open XDm's with slide-ride Leupold deltapoints, C-More's, and Burris FFII.

If you are going with a Carver mount, talk with Scott about the various optic mounts available for it. I had continual ejection problems when I had a C-More on the Carver mount. Tried a bunch of different loads and would still get some bouncing off the mount and back into the gun. I tried the mount in all of the available holes. I ended up going with the mount for the FFII because it is shorter, instead of the C-More mount. Haven't had any problems since. The last I corresponded with Scott about it, he said something about having a sideways C-More mount available too. I believe Carver also makes a mount for the C-More RTS now as well, which would probably be how I would go if doing it again. My personal favorite so far has been the deltapoint mounted on the slide. The only thing I didn't like was having to remove the optic to replace the battery. I have a deltapoint on another open gun though and have been surprised at how long the battery lasts. If it would hold up to the recoil, a STS on the slide might be a nice option too.

You can shoot major PF with a 9mm XDm, I have done it. I have a feeling that even Scott would tell you that once you are shooting major PF, a 2011 is a far better platform though.

Also, if you go with the carver mount, you are pretty much stuck with using a modified CR Speed holster, and I'm not sure how suitable that is for 3gun. I really like the Ghost holster for XDm's myself, but they won't work with the Carver mount. If you go with a slide mounted optic your choice of holsters is larger. I have really liked my Pistol Gear magwell and their 140mm and 170mm mag extensions have worked great too.

Enjoy the new gun. If you need some load data to get started shoot me a PM.

Edited by drysideshooter

I run a Delta Point on a Carver mount and like the setup. I went through many a Fastfire II, mounted on the slide. They just can't take the abuse. God bless Burris! They replaced one particular Fastfire 4 times! :bow:

I run the CR Speed holster, modified, to accept the Carver mount. Very easy to do.