Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New idea, V belt driven case pro 100

So here is the deal. I have a case pro 100, and two big electric motors. I have a bunch of pulleys and pillow blocks. Even some metal for the shafts.

The motors are 1125 rpm. One is 1/4 horsepower 110v and the other is 1/8 horsepowder at 1150 rpm, also 110v.

My idea is to put a 1.5 inch pulley on the motor, run it to a intermediate shaft with a 10 inch pulley. Then another small 1.5 inch pulley with a belt running to a 10 inch pulley on a shaft. At the end of the shaft I will put the arm to push the case pro back and forth.

Anyone ever done something like this? I looked into the air method and buying a different motor but I have 90% of the things I need already.

Possible concerns:

Belt slip from case pro needing to much force.

Guessing I need around 20 RPM on the pulley running the case pro. Does this seem right? I think that's the same the ponsen warren autodrive runs. I can go slower if it would work better but the pulley size starts getting a little crazy for mounting purposes after 12 inches.

Thoughts?

I was in the same boat when I bult my 100 lb wet tumbler. I had all the pullys and pillow blocks as well but wound up "winning" a gear motor off of eBay for $35, not free but cheap enough, much faster build, more compact and less to go wrong.

Edited by jmorris

On the face of it, the belts could possibly act as a "clutch" so that a jam in the CasePro would not break anything. I could see the need for frequent tension adjustments as the belts wear / streach and the weather changes 9het and humidity).

If you have parts and want to expeirement, go for it.