Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger finger knuckle?

bird

What kind of gun are you shooting?

I started out on a revolver and an old PPC champion told me to only move my trigger finger at the knuckle.

Try this experiment:

Hold your hand straight, with the thumb and fingers pointing up.

(kindof like putting your hand,arm flat on a table,or like you're are going to karate chop with the heel of your hand).

Move only your index finger at the knuckle while the rest of your hand is straight,

then move only your index finger while curling your index finger(with the rest of your fingers,hand are straight) and see what happens.

You can see that the rest of your fingers want to move when curling your index finger, unless you only move your index finger at the knuckle.

Of course you don't shoot with your hand straight but you can see how hard it is to only move your index finger without the rest of your fingers moving.

What it really comes down to is that it really don't matter how you pull the trigger as long as you pull it straight back without disturbing your sights.

If this method works for you and you can get your hits then it is right for you.

BE has taught me to always keep my mind open, learn everything, throw out what don't work for you and keep what does.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to shooting.

I hope this makes sense..

Quote: from bird:

What it really comes down to is that it really don't matter how you pull the trigger as long as you pull it straight back without disturbing your sights.

sanchez, bird totally nailed it!  Whatever techinque you employ, it is good if it breaks the shot without disturbing the sights.

"What do you see when you turn out the lights?,

I can't tell you, but I know it's mine.

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends

Yeah, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends."

Somewhere in the bowels of the 19 pages of this paritcular forum, I think, is a small posting I issued... where I mentioned that "isolating the trigger finger" (and a nice, straight-back pull if possible) was something that changed my shooting life forever--and improved accuracy more than I could ever hope to describle. I still maintain (and remind myself with each range visit) that this one thing falls into my Top Three handy-dandy personal shooting tips. [Also in the Top Three is "RELAX", but that's another thread......]  :)

San-0...

It depends upon which handgun I'm using at the time. Length of trigger-pull differs slightly on all of 'em. What works for one shooter may not for another... my fingers are kinda long so I tend to use the first knuckle as the basis rather than the pad of the first joint...... but then--for me--it depends on the gun size and how far I have to reach.

• 2 weeks later...