Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle to butt stock balance ?

BOOM

More control, and better Perceived felt recoil is that improved by having a balanced point of weight between the Muzzle to Butt Stock. Lets say directly in front of the receiver, or over the mag well as center, VS. a slightly muzzle heavy rifle. Watching a pro demonstrate his view of a balance rifle by extending his arm out using only the grip with very little effort, and the muzzle not dipping down was his .

I'm no expert so just my opinion... I like it centered on the magwell for two reasons. 1. It's centered relatively between my hands (or more precisely between my shoulder and forward hand). 2. The balance won't change as the magazine empties (think of it like an airplane that stores it's fuel in the wings for this reason). The benefit to it being light on the front (as the pro had his) is that you can start and stop the swing from target to target more easily than a gun that builds inertia from a heavier barrel creating a sort of leverage out front. Just my $.02.

Edited by jkrispies

There are definite benefits to having a lightweight gun. I shoot rimfire rifle on steel, and I can tell you that a lighter gun makes a big difference when it comes to getting the gun on target, stopping on a dime, and then starting it moving again quickly to the next target. It shows in the times. The thing is that shooting a rimfire rifle from a stationary position, five shots onto five targets for the total run is different than shooting twenty targets of varying distances and then possibly finishing a stage with a several hundred yard shot. Many consider it wise to have a thicker than pencil-width barrel to manage that heat, which adds weight. (A question to ask, the pro with the lightweight gun: was that his 3GN gun vs. another heavier gun that he may use for another series? Oftentimes 3GN stages don't have extremely long-distance targets incorporated into them. Just sayin' that it's something to consider if you can only afford one gun.) If you want to balance against that heavier barrel... you're adding weight to the overall gun. Personally, I'm okay with adding a bit of weight to the barrel and/or stock if it means balancing the gun. Remember, we're not soldiers hefting our guns for hours on end-- we're talking about shooting stages that are measured in seconds. Try looking for areas where you can reduce weight without sacrificing accuracy such as with lightweight (or better word: efficient) hand guards and muzzle brakes. Again, I'm nobody special to listen to, just my $.02.

For what its worth; Quite a bit has to do with how you intend to hold the rifle for "Hoser shots", prone / position and standing shots. Many will grasp the rifle in a different manner depending on the shot. Think a 100 yd standing shot with a rifle vs. 3 x paper at 5 yds. I typically bring my front hand in a little and assume a more high-power standing position when shooting long standing shots, as such my support hand moves back on the hand guard a little and I want a ever so slight muzzle forward balance or at least neutral. If the weight of the rifle is too far to the rear it will magnify any little movement in the muzzle,If you shoot magazine supported prone with a rear heavy rifle the effect is the same. if the balance is too far forward then you can induce a little more swing or momentum with the rifle when you transition. A muzzle heavy rifle will dampen recoil a little bit.

Once your rifle is built there is not too much you can do to effect the balance unless you add weight or start replacing components. Provided that you don't go too heavy of a barrel most rifles will balance just forward of the magazine well. Quite a bit is going to be "luck of the draw" once the rifle is together unless you do some very careful calculations.

On a short range rifle I think you will want the balance further to the rear to help with transitions.