Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 not feeding cases into station 1

I just got my new 650 set up, ran through ~50 rounds without dies just to watch the operation and then finalized my set up. Once I was dialed in on my load, I was having problems with the cases not being pushed into station 1 as I pushed the handle forward to prime. It appears as if this works off spring pressure to slide the case in the rest of the way, but I do not see a way to adjust this pressure. Any ideas?

If the case is being pushed into the shell plate, but not completely so the newly fed case isn't centered and doesn't enter the sizing die then check your index ring and see if it is broken.

Last batch of ammo my 650 was giving me fits and not completely feeding the cases into the shell plate. I had to use a finger to push the case all the way in to avoid missing the sizing die. i thought it was out of adjustment or needed cleaning, but found that my index ring was broken. Put a new one in and cleaned things up and she is right as rain again.

Most of the time it is dirt in the track, push rod, or shell holder. A huge tip with the 650, if you feel resistance other that primer seating, stop, look it over, remove stuff and inspect. It takes a while to get the 650 really dialed in but once you do it is really nice. And always look at the manual.

Edited by ricardo28

New to you 650 or brand new from the factory 650?

My guess is that you have some dirt, or other cleaning media that got into the slide, keeping it from moving. Dillon sets these things up individually and they work out of the box, so I would assume that the problem after 50 cases is externally created.

I'm reloading 45 ACP. The press is brand new out of the box (ordered from Graff's as brother in-law gets dealer pricing). It seems as if there was some stiction due to being over greased as when you push forward to prime, the casefeeder part didn't move. I cleaned the grease off and put a thin coat back on and it seems to be working fine now.

Just an update. I finally got it working now. While lightly greasing it seemed to work for a bit, it only stayed working for 50 rounds or so. Turns out, the ejector rod is pushing up and hits the case feeder. I had used the shell bearing kit from PowerFactor shooting that I got at a prize table last year, but that was pushing the rod up too high. Remove that kit and the rod wasn't coming up anymore. I went 150 rounds without a hiccup last night, except for those pesky small primer brass that I missed.