Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP Race Gun

jadm6468

After waiting a full year to have my gun built, I now have it but need help finding the best loads to shot IPSC. I have a 1911 full frame with a 2" comp and am trying to develop a load that will make major. I am new to the sport and appraciate any help you can give.

I convinced a retired gunsmith friend to haul out his old hand built caspian single stack .45ACP "open gun" (looked a little like Brian's gun on the cover of the book). He swore by the National 152 grn "copperized" SWCs over the FASTEST powder he could find to try to get some comp action out of the huge single port comp for USPSA. He rarely shoots these days.

Cool gun. To me, it kicked like a mule compared to today's open guns even with 152s. We also tried out a few of his pin loads with the heavy bullets. Those REALLY kick. However, it was faster than a non-comped 1911 with the same loads. Accurate as heck & fun to shoot.

By the way, welcome to the sport! Your new custom 1911 is perfect to start out with. Try some 185s & see how they work with straight Clays powder (my old Limited .45 STI Edge load). I believe I was near or at the limit to reach major with this powder. If you can find it, V V N310 makes and excellent .45 powder. Localy, you might go by the dirtier W231 or very similar HP-38.

My old comp 45 load was with the mentioned 155 SWC and 6.9 of WSL. Got about 1225 fps out of the Clark barrel. Comp worked well but the 155 is picky about feeding so you really have to work at finding just the right OAL.

I eventually went to 200 gr RN and never had feed problems again. Comp didn't work as well but still was an improvement over no comp. Plus I figure I gained some time by lack of malfunctions.