Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I didn't see what I need to see

Sac Law Man

Its been a rainy winter for us, matches and practice days cancelled. Shot a match on Sun, first match since the beginning of Dec, although I did get out and practice 3 times in Jan. Anyway, after the 8 stage (IDPA) match was over, I was 39 pts down. This is a lot for me. I had two mikes and a procedural (brain fart) for shooting targets out of tac sequence. I credit the high points down to not seeing what I needed to see. My times were good, which still alowed me to win my class, CDP master and finish 3rd overall.

Its real easy to tell myself, see the exact spot on the target I wich to shoot then put the sights there and squeeze the trigger. But obviously I didn't do it. I contribute some of this to the winter blues, aka rusty.

What I would like to know, (especially from some of the GM forum members) is what do you to break out of this? Is it mental, should I slow down?

Thanks

John

You shouldn't "slow down". IMO, you shouldn't think about speed in any way...shape...or, form.

The key for me is vision. When I let it guide me...good things happen.

With standard sights...the visual focus is constantly sliding out to find the target, then back toward the front sight to call the shot...then out to find the next target...and so on.

I like to think of the vision as a slide trombone. It is always going out and back.

The folly with "speed" is that we get used to shooting at a certain speed...when speed is our focus. So, whether the sights/gun are where they need to be or not...we feel we are suppose to be shooting (NOW!), so we pull the trigger. With speed as the focus, we have trained our sub-conscious to start shooting when we see a certain situation that we are are used to...like swinging into a target and firing NOW. (Bad thing)

This one is real easy to work on in dry-fire. And, I think it is one of the most important (advanced) aspects of shooting standard sights. In dry fire, pick a few targets (I have always used things like candles and light switch covers.). Have them spaced out at various distances...spaced unevenly (horizontally and vertically...evenly place targets, like plate racks, suck for this drill).

Start out super-slow. If you are going faster than..."one-mississippi..two-mississippi...three-mississippi"...between steps, then you are going too fast to start.

1. bring you gun onto a traget.

2. bring your vision to your front sight (see it in RAZOR-SHARP focus)

3. without moving your gun, snap your eyes to the next target.

4. your eyes will pull your head to the target...which will pull you gun (index) onto target.

5. as the gun comes on target, bring your vision back to the front sight. The goal is to see the front sight in RAZOR-SHARP focus.

6. repeat for the next target.

This is a drill that I use for visually patience.

Be aware of what is going on. Don't just go thru the motions on this one. As you pick up the pace, you will reach a point where you are rounding off the corners. You will ask yourself if you actually saw the front sight on that last transition...and you won't be able to honestly say yes.

Jake, Felx;

Thanks for the replies..I think you both agree its mental, so do I..I believe visual patience is the key..

As I sit here and try and recall what I saw each time I shot at a target is tough. I know one mike I had, was on a close distance head shot, shot strong hand only. I looked through the sights at the target..I have no idea why I didn't make up the shot!!!

There were several other times when I was able to call the C hit, but did not even think of making it up, let alone do so.

Finally, on the last stage of the match I got my act together and shot all 6 targets with no points down and won the stage. I forced myself to see the "A" zone (O down) and to see the sights.

Flex, the dry fire drill looks like it will help me, I'll try it.