Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding .308 Die

Nicoli7153

I just bought a Redding FL die in .308 and tried running one of my fired cases through it and it is VERY tight!!!! Didn't run it down all the way because it didn't seem right

I ran a brand new Lapua through it and it cycled fine.

Any suggestions????

The brand new lapua cases are already sized. .308 requires effort to size and proper lube on the case and the neck. It took LOTS of effort for me to size some 1000 pieces of 1X MG fired brass to get it back to spec. If the brass was shot in a semi auto or many factory rifles with a big chamber (Remington especially) you will have lots of sizing to do. M1A/14's are brutal on brass.

I called Redding and they are sending me some Imperial case lube. Great people to deal with!

It was my own once fired Lapua brass. I've been using RCBS dies and switched to Redding. RCBS worked fine on prior brass. Tolerances must be tighter on Redding, that's one reason why I moved up.

Thanks for the comments.

Make sure you get lube in the neck. Imperial is great but... its hard to get it inside the necks. You will know your necks need lube if you are having a hard time pushing the leaver up on your press as you are expanding over the expander ball. In .223 you don't notice, in .308 you will. a carbide button will help.

Yes, sadly you can have too much lube. If you use spray lube you need to let the cases sit for a few minutes for the lube distributes itself. If you get dents in the shoulder then its from too much lube. For 300 and in ammo, just load and shoot those cases.

Imperial is great stuff. I use the wax on the outside of the neck and body. Try to limit getting any on the shoulder or you can dent some cases. I like to use their Dry neck lube for inside the neck or neck sizing only. Goes on easy and you don't have to worry about it contaminating powder. the wax can be some trouble to get out of the inside of a case neck. I put carbide buttons on all my rifle dies anyway