Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To shim or not to shim?

JohnBrittain

Hey guys,

First off, I made a quick intro earlier but wanted to say hi to anyone and thanks from a frequent reader on this forum!

I am in the process of building up a new AR to get into some 3gun matches soon. I decided on putting a Mark AR mod 1 up top along with one of my left over LaRue QD mounts (LT111). My only problem is that this is a 30mm mount and a 20mm scope. I've used shims before when going from 30mm to 1" but can't find any shims to neck down my rings from 30mm to 20mm!!!!

Would it be possible to make my own shims? I know it sounds ghetto, but I would be using some high grade ABS plastic, a micrometer, and a precision lathe I own (which is designed for use with plastics anyway).

I've tried to search for a solution but so far all I've found is "change your scope or rings/base"

Any input or suggestions would be incredibly helpful! And thanks in advance!!

John

*shaking my head at myself*

Thanks for politely pointing it out without giving me too much grief! That's what had me so confused! Its been a while since Ive built any new guns (college budget). I really love my LaRue mounts (and seekins too!) so I wasn't looking forward to having to keep it on the shelf and buy yet another mount!