Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223/5.56 to 300 Blackout using Redding dies

Quag

I bought the Redding Die 300 blk out 2 pack dies set from Dillon to use on my 550b. This is not the Redding 3 dies match dies (real expensive). Its the option for about $79. It contains 2 dies; a full length resizing die and a bullet seating dies which has a crimp ring in it.

I have never had a crimp option in a bullet seating die. Does anyone know about the adjustability of crimp in the Redding bullet seating die. For my other rifle calibers I use a very slight crimp in a crip dies and avoid a heavy crimp in my semi autos. BTW is on the way I have not received it yet

Thx

I have RCBS dies with a crimp and it says to remove the seating stem and adjust just the die body for a slight crimp (put in a case and screw die down it touches the brass with the ram up). Once that is achieved to your liking, then put in the seating stem and adjust for OAL.

I have RCBS dies with a crimp and it says to remove the seating stem and adjust just the die body for a slight crimp (put in a case and screw die down it touches the brass with the ram up). Once that is achieved to your liking, then put in the seating stem and adjust for OAL.

thanks how do you like it compared to a separate crimp die?

That's interesting I use the Lee FCD for all the other calibers and I was wondering whether to add it to my 300 blk out or rely on the crimp in the Redding Die. I think I'll get the Lee FCD for 300 blk out. Its proven its self on all the other dies.

I've never worked with a crimp on a seating die

Most seating dies out there in the past had a crimp option on them and I suspect that many still do now. The proper way to adjust crimp is to put a case in the press and screw die down until it touches and raise the die a few turns; you now have no crimp. Seat a bullet to length that you want to. Now, raise the seating plug way up in the die and adjust down until you get the crimp you want. Once you are there, lock the die and adjust the seating plug back down until it contacts the bullet and lock that in place. This is just like a taper crimp on a pistol die. the problem is that every time you adjust the seating depth for another bullet, you have to take the crimp out and set things all over again. A Separate crimp die is a better idea if you want to crimp and there is not much of a reason to do so.