Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another draw problem

Stuck in C

I noticed something while attempting to improve my draws during dry fire practice. At the completion of the draw the pistol is pointed to the left, i.e. the front sight is to the left of the rear sight notch. I have to conciously move the gun to get the sights in alignment (slows me down a lot). It is especially noticeable if I do a draw with my eyes closed-the gun comes up misaligned. This happens with a draw to a freestyle position or stronghand only. It does not happen when raising the gun from the low ready position. I assume this is because I am not obtaining the proper firing grip as I draw, but could it also have something to do with my stance? I'm having trouble correcting this-any advice on drills which will help?

You have two options:

1. Modify your stance to correct your natural presentation

2. Modify your presentation to accomodate your stance.

What happens if you do 15-20 draws in super slo-motion? Try that and report back.

Without seeing your stance or draw it's hard to tell...could you describe your stance or maybe even post a photo?

SA

After doing a number of slow and then faster dry fire draws, this appears to be the problem: when I try and speed up the draw my wrist and hand naturally wants to be in a straight line with my forearm-with my shoulders square to the target this points the gun to the left. Look at the picture of BE in the banner and see the angle of his right hand/wrist needed to point the gun at the target.

I guess the cure is to do about 10,000 correctly done draws to imprint muscle memory.