Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WiFi Internet Marriot Hotel

One more reason why I won't stay at a Marriott again:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2014/10/hotel-wi-fi

MARRIOTT has admitted to jamming customers' Wi-Fi hotspots in "at least one" of its hotels, forcing business travellers to pay for the chain's own Wi-Fi service, according to America's Federal Communication Commission (FCC). ... the jamming happened during a conference at which Marriott was charging exhibitors and journalists "as much as $1,000 per device" for access, according to the FCC. "It is unacceptable for any hotel to intentionally disable personal hotspots while also charging consumers and small businesses high fees to use the hotel’s own Wi-Fi network," Travis LeBlanc, the FCC's top enforcement official, said in a press release.

Marriott, which was fined $600,000, doesn't seem sorry. The chain released a statement arguing that it was trying to protect customers from "rogue wireless hotspots" and demanded the FCC make a formal rule on the issue.

FWIW, last time I stayed at a Marriott it has a serious "nickel and dime you to death" attitude. They had "free" WiFi but its seriously crippled, trying to force you to pay extra for "upgraded WiFi" just to get something that works. Other hotels are better value, IMO.

Edited by SlowShooter

We just stayed at the one in Anaheim, ca for Disneyland and I noticed how horrible the free wifi service was but the $6.99 a day one was great. Sad we paid $161.00 a night plus $14 for parking only to be charged for wifi.