Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking out loud...

michael_aos

I had previously started down the path of something for MOR with ~425yds max. I wound up with a Remington 700P in .223 with the HS precision 5rd detachable box magazines.

The outfit weighs in at 14lbs, and I'm not 100% satisfied with the magazines.

I recently had a "fun gun" AR-10 built in .260 Remington. Not for any particular game, just something to screw around with. I'm set up to load .260. Lots of brass, bullets, powder, etc.

I'm pretty excited about the .260 Remington caliber. I was toying with buying a 700P LTR (the 7.5lb, 20" .308) and slapping on a 26" .260 barrel. Hoping the end-result will be about a 13lb package (scope, mount, rings, bipod, etc).

No detachable box magazine though. It's 4+1 and that's it.

There's got to be some games it would be good at though. Maybe a "hunter" class, and upgrade to AICS stock or the like at some later date. Once I've worked up a load and gotten comfortable with the rifle.

What do you think?

I almost moved on it tonight, then I was concerned moving from a 20" .308 barrel to a 26" .260 barrel would screw up the balance of the rifle. Make it too "barrel heavy", so I didn't do anything.

Mike

Mike,

I'd get it and build it up slowly. Sounds like a project that you will have some fun with and that is what is all about. I'd suggest a 22" or 24" bbl and not the 26" as it will make it very nose heavy. I run a 24" flutted Mike Rock bbl and I like the balance a lot. As you said, you can just rebarrel the rifle to get going. Then if you like it, switch out the stock for a McMillan or an AI. Both stocks will accept the AI mags now. See my other post about the new Badger Ord. bottom metal for the Rem 700 and McMillan stock that will allow you to use AI mags. Many options and everything does not have to be done at once. ;)

Best,

Nick