Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 75 gr Amax

Dannybot

Anybody load these for .223 AR? I didn't realize the length when I picked them up. I thought they'd be close to the 75 OTM's.

I was able to make a dummy round at 2.260 OAL and it fits my magazines. Would it be acceptable to start with published powder weights I have listed in my normal resources and work up like other loads?

Most searches have just said ".. Bullet too long for magazine fed .233, should be used as single load for long range shooting.

I don't think that they are intended to be loaded to magazine length. I've got the Hornady manual. It lists data separately for 223, 223 service rifle, and 5.56. None list an overall length short enough for a magazine.

I think the Hornady 75gr BTHP are the longest bullets that can be safely loaded to function from a magazine.

It can be done with the right magazines. I was able to load them at least 2.3" in HK mags (I forget the exact oal). They functioned fine, but accuracy and velocity were poor. The experiment was worth a try but the Hornady 75gr bthp are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...