Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering an STI Tactical 4.0 as a carry gun....40 or .45, your thou

DHart

54 minutes ago, Chutist said:

Great read guys!  

I have a Tactical 5.0 in .40 that I'm fixing to take on duty, lots of good info here.  My .45 Kimber single stack is going back in the safe for the time being.  My Dept requires 45 rounds on my person... that was 5 mags with the Kimber!  Only 3 gets me there with the 5.0 :D

Chutist... if your Tac 5.0 .40 is anything like my Edge .40 (and they are essentially the same pistol), it's going to serve you exceptionally well.  Heavy to carry, but so-very-soft to shoot.  I've carried my Edge on occasion (magwell removed) with 126mm mags.  I can comfortably fit 16 rounds in the 126mm mag with Grams guts and Bolen 4mm base, for a total of 16+1=17 rounds on tap.

Edited by DHart

46 minutes ago, DHart said:

Chutist... if your Tac 5.0 .40 is anything like my Edge .40 (and they are essentially the same pistol), it's going to serve you exceptionally well.  Heavy to carry, but so-very-soft to shoot.  I've carried my Edge on occasion (magwell removed) with 126mm mags.  I can comfortably fit 16 rounds in the 126mm mag with Grams guts and Bolen 4mm base, for a total of 16+1=17 rounds on tap.

Thanks!  The Kimber was a boat anchor too! LOL!!! Hey at least I won't have to find a spot to stash two other other Mags! :D  I have STI 140's(18) and MBX 140's (20). I'll carry the STI in it and 2 MBX on my vest - 58 on tap.

Sure looking like taking the risk on a new STI 2011 .45auto is reasonable.  Chances are it will run right and in the event that it doesn't, STI should make it right, or a third party 2011 expert can do it.  

How many other options for a 2011 .45auto defense/carry pistol are out there?  

Aside from a 2011, for hi-cap .45 defense pistols we have Glock G21 (13+1 cap), PPQ (12+1 rounds), XD(m) (13+1 rounds), P320 (10+1), M&P45 (10+1), HK45 (10+1), G30 (10+1). The FN45 is just too big for me to enjoy carrying.

I have a G21SF, which is good for capacity, but I don't like the grip size/feel all that much and would prefer a little shorter barrel for EDC. Then it comes down to an XD(m) (13+1) and the PPQ (12+1).   Of the two, I think I much prefer the PPQ.

Aside from that, capacity of the offerings drops down to 10+1, which isn't much to get all that excited about capacity-wise, though there are some great pistols in this group.

I'm thinking I probably should be taking a good hard look at a PPQ, at 1/3 the price of a 2011 and probably far more likely to run flawlessly.  Grip feel and reach to trigger is great.  Trigger is nice.  13-round capacity pretty good.  Reliability and price are great.

Edited by DHart

• 2 weeks later...