Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kestrel and Applied Ballistics

DocUSMCRetired

Hey, this may seem like a re-post, but I thought this would be a good section to address it. I work for Applied Ballistics and if anyone here ever has an issue, a question, or just needs help with one of our systems please don't hesitate to contact me. I am here to address any questions that might come up, be it ballistics related or not. I look forward to our conversations!

doc.beech@appliedballisticsllc.com

Went out with a buddy this weekend and had a chance to use one for the first time.Nice units. I hit at 906 yards, first shot! It was also my first time shooting long-range. Excellent unit, just a little too pricey for me.

Doc,

I'm not sure you want to take this on but you are certainly qualified.

I have an inexpensive Kestrel that gives me temp and pressure, a ballistic app on an old iPod Touch, and a notepad. Prior to shooting, I can check the pressure in the morning (it's not going to change much after that) and check the temp a couple times in the day and just note the drops and wind for the distances I'm going to be shooting. And that's all I need. Even the guys that I know that shoot PRS write their info down on a card they carry.

Why should I or anyone spend $$$ on a top of the line Kestrel with a Ballistics program?

IOW, at what point, in what kind of shooting, does something like this become a worth while investment and why?

(Hey, you offered to answer questions :devil: )

Edited by Graham Smith

Doc,

I'm not sure you want to take this on but you are certainly qualified.

I have an inexpensive Kestrel that gives me temp and pressure, a ballistic app on an old iPod Touch, and a notepad. Prior to shooting, I can check the pressure in the morning (it's not going to change much after that) and check the temp a couple times in the day and just note the drops and wind for the distances I'm going to be shooting. And that's all I need. Even the guys that I know that shoot PRS write their info down on a card they carry.

Why should I or anyone spend $$$ on a top of the line Kestrel with a Ballistics program?

IOW, at what point, in what kind of shooting, does something like this become a worth while investment and why?

(Hey, you offered to answer questions :devil: )

Graham, if I may?

I purchased the Kestrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics last year and have never made a better purchase. Yes, it is completely worth it. I will give you some reasons, but first, to answer your question: At what point do you need one?

The answer is simple: When you need to achieve a first round hit EVERY time on targets past 200 yards out to 1500 (and further, depending on caliber). The Kestrel will take all of the variables and put them together into coherent easy to ready package and spit out a VERY accurate elevation call and proposed windage calls. Your guessing regarding ballistics is simply over. There is no more guessing.

The other advantages are small size, long battery life, waterproof, and multi-functional. Yes, you could make due with a ballistic's solver, a cheap Kestrel and a data book. The downsides to these is battery life (phone rarely lasts the whole day), difficult to use and you have multiple pieces of kit to manage.

When I look back when I was shooting prior to the Kestrel AB, I was simply lost. I was struggling with FDAC (Field Density Altitude Compensator) and printed out range cards. Now, I bring the Kestrel and it does the rest. If precision long range rifle work is your game, you need a Kestrel AB.

The Kestrel will take all of the variables and put them together into coherent easy to ready package and spit out a VERY accurate elevation call and proposed windage calls. Your guessing regarding ballistics is simply over. There is no more guessing.

But, I can do that with my Kestrel and iPod. Perhaps it's not as fast but it still only takes a minute or so. And based on my experience, it's quite accurate. And, it didn't cost $600.

------------

FYI: my iPod is a refurbished 3rd Gen Touch that I already had housed in an Otterbox along with Ballistic FTE (now AE)

A refurbished 4th Gen 8GB is $90 from Apple. Otterbox for it is $15. Ballistic AE is $20. Kestrel 2500 $150.

Total cost: $275

------------

P.S. I'm not knocking the Applied Kestrel. I've seen the Horus version and it's really slick. I'm just trying to understand why it's any better than what I have.

Edited by Graham Smith