Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip panels and backstraps in Production

thermobollocks

I got to thinking about the M&P's interchangeable backstraps. I have 3 each Mediums and Larges that I won't use. From what I can tell, removal of material from the frame (as in the grinding off of a Glock's finger nubs, grip reduction in general) is a prohibited modification in Production. But, looking at Appendix D4, rule 21.4, if I'm dealing with grip panels, I am allowed to replace them. Clearly the Smith OEM backstraps are all right, but am I breaking any rules if I take a belt sander to my Large backstrap to make it Small size? Do the interchangeable backstraps on M&Ps and Glocks count the same as grip panels for the purpose of this rule?

As I read 21.4, if I have a gun that accepts traditional grip panels, I can interchange them with skinny ones, fat ones, contoured ones, whatever, as long as they don't make a magwell. Does this sound right to everyone else?

But, if I look at 22.2, I'm not allowed to add or remove material which changes the factory profile or adds something like a beavertail or a thumbrest. Is this specifically limited to adding functionality, and does it only apply to the competitor adding material themselves, or does it forbid grip panels that come with such features? Does this mean that if I slap some finger groove wraparound grip panels onto a gun I am in trouble, or that if I grab some thumbrest grips from cz-usa.com (presumably OEM) I am also in trouble?

I am probably thinking about this way too hard.

Part of your question is being discussed here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203583

It's clear that you can't modify the factory profile. What isn't clear is what factory profile you must maintain, considering several companies offer Production legal guns with multiple grip options.

Finger grooves or thumbrest grips (even if OEM) are not legal if they do not come from the factory on a gun that's on the Production approved list.

I would think that if you modify a large M&P backstrap down to mimic a small (assuming they cast them in such a way that you don't break through it), you are maintaining the small factory profile. That should be fine, considering how vague the wording is when applied to modern grip options.