Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best optical sight for a 1911 with Nelson 22LR conversion for Steel Ch

castnblast

I have a AA standard conversion on a Kimber with a C&S ignition group that I use to practice IDPA and a Nighthawk/Nelson I use for shooting steel. I really like both. However, I must have too much time on my hands because now I am thinking about a Nelson conversion with an Weaver rail and optical sight that I would use either in my Nighthawk or Kimber frame. My intended use would be Steel Challenge as well as just having fun at the range. Another reason is my quest for continuous improvement which is getting tougher each year. Read 72 y.o. eyes. A good friend and expert pistol shot tells me that shooting a handgun with optics will actually help when shooting with open sights. This leaves me with two questions. 1. Is it worth it to get the threaded barrel? and 2. Tube type (Ultradot Matchdot II) or holographic sight (Ultradot Pan AV)? I intend to have Larry Nelson supply the conversion and sight complete. Any wisdom you would like to share?

It's a matter of preference. In uspsa open, I run a C-More. I like the bigger diameter of the sight glass while running and gunning. My steel gun is a MK III lower with a TacSol upper and I run a Burris FFIII. Really do enjoy the smaller optic on the steel gun, personally, but to each his own. I did see the biggest difference when I put a comp on the gun. I had my doubts about whether they actually made any difference in a 22, but to my surprise, it really did! I've got a local buddy of mine (JaxShooter) that runs a full on 1911-22 Marvel build set up just like his open gun. Hopefully he sees your post and adds his own insight. Good luck!

For accuracy the Tube dots work really well to center your eyes. For Speed the CMore seems to be the hands down choice around here. I personally have not seen anyone happy long term with the small dots, and none of the professional shooters use them. That speaks volumes to me. The Ultra match dot is a good one, I have one on my Bianchi gun. Good luck with your builds!

DougC