Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-thinking rifle zero, Maximum Point Blank Range

Wild Gene

Regardless of what I do, I am not good enough to remember to have to hold low on mid range targets. I only want to have to remember to have to hold at or above my targets.

Pjb45, do you mean crapola? Haha, sorry...

wg

The JBM trajectory calculator (not the simplified version) lets you set the vital zone radius and calculate drops for max PBR. Using that, you can find out what your drop is at 50yds and zero using that information.

For example, for a SMK 55gr bullet @ 3000fps using a 4" radius vital zone, the Max PBR zero is 262yd. At 50yd the bullets should hit 1.5" from your point of aim so just aim at the bull and measure where you are hitting and adjust.

If you increase the radius to 6", then then PBR zero goes to 304yd and the 50yd zero adjusts to 2.1"

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

Edited by Graham Smith

Regardless of what I do, I am not good enough to remember to have to hold low on mid range targets. I only want to have to remember to have to hold at or above my targets.

Pjb45, do you mean crapola? Haha, sorry...

wg

It does not matter what zero you ultimately decide on. You WILL need to hold high on close targets, on farther targets, and over farther yet targets. It's just a matter of how much and at what distance things line up for you. Pick your zero and know your holds, or miss.

Edited by Stlhead

Graham, very cool option. That was along the lines of what I was thinking!

Stlhead, yes, on the very close targets you are correct, that is why I said mid range targets, but I really agree on your final sentence. Pick your zero and know your holds!

wg