Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Using an M&P9 for Open Major?

BallisticianX

I recently turned a spare FS M&P9 slide into an open top end. My original intention was to create an open gun for Steel shooting using minor pf. In order to get the comp to work and not just be a fancy muzzle decoration I decided to use WAC powder I have in my stock. I don't have any other powders in the suitable burn rate to utilize the comp anyway. So with hitting my target point of 140 and now into 150 I am experiencing a decent amount of singed powder kernels in the chamber and bore. Of course this is not wanted and want to eliminate it. So I posted a topic in the reloading section about it. Though I have been reloading for 25 years for conventional pistol & rifle I am new to the open gun world and loading for it. So after some responses and further load testing I believe WAC may be just one of those powders that needs ramped up powder charges to get a clean burn. With that epiphany I am now considering just turning it up and loading to major. My concern is the M&P platforms ability to handle this rigorous task. Not so much if it will take the rigors out of the gate but more so how long it will handle it over time before failure and accuracy problems........ SO share your experiences with doing it, how long you have used an M&P with major, how many rounds so far, what problems or parts that needed replacement etc??? The more info the merrier! I need to ease my troubled mind or confirm my reservations and move on.....I need gun closure with this relationship lol

MY build info:

M&P9 FS

Slide lightening cuts and sides milled down a bit for weight reduction

KKM Precision Barrel (1 in 20 twist)

Carver 3 port comp

11lb Wolff recoil spring with non-encapsulated guide rod

Apex competition action spring kit

Worked trigger group to 3lbs eliminating over travel and reset distance.

Thank you for any input you may have.

Well the mp can be chambered in 40 and that is making major power factor and they run for a long time. You will be fine running major with a 9 with a comp and with the correct spring. I have a xdm 9 open gun that I have been running major and minor through. IMHO