Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What parts should I replace

cajunautoxer

So I've only shot 3 gun the past 2 years. I'm starting to do some USPSA soon. I would like to use my XDM 5.25 for both 3 gun and production.

From what I've read the Dawson magwell is what I should use bc of ease to removal of the magwell. What basepads should I use?

I do have a Powder River trigger already. Now I'm looking at getting some parts from Springer. On my list is a extended mag release but I'm not sure what else is needed? I have around 3k round thru the pistol so far. I can't recall the part but its recommended if you dry fire a lot. What part is that?

What should I get bc I might as order the parts I need at once.

I can't recall the part but its recommended if you dry fire a lot. What part is that?

If you dry fire frequently, the roll pin that holds the striker is good to get. Replaced the factory pin at about 10,000 dry fires with the stronger one. But! The factory pin was fine. After taking it out, put the stronger one in mostly because it was there. My opinion is the factory (and maybe some owners) pound the pins in too far / too hard. That causes them to bend then break. The pins are only held at top and bottom, so the middle can bend if enough force is applied. Also, they MUST go in and out the hole on top of the slide. MUST. The opening in the bottom of the slide is smaller to keep it out.

If you can do it, polish the striker body, striker and sear interface where they meet, striker channel in the slide and any of the other parts in the trigger system that show wear. Great care is needed to avoid altering sear geometry, so if you are heavy handed a smith may be the better choice. Trigger "feel" is dramatically improved with a polish. It is shockingly better, at least mine was. All the gritty feel and jerky movement was gone. Not sure how it affects pull weight, but it just glides now.

Edited by johnbu

-Dawson Ice Magwell

-Canyon Creek 140mm mag ext with grams follower and spring because of capacity - 9mm=24 / .40S&W=21

-HD striker retainer roll pin from Powder River Precision or Pistol Gear..I don't think Springer sells the HD roll pin...could be wrong.