Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CORE Sights

afletcher1965

Can someone that has some experience with sights for the M&P CORE add some input on front and rear sights and some of the considerations when choosing the proper ones?

There are a lot of different options:

Rear Sights

.245 tall rear sight (requires a .180 tall front sight)
.265 tall rear sight (requires a .200 tall front sight)
.295 tall rear sight (requires a .230 tall front sight)
.115, .125, .135, .145, .145 Notch options
Front Sights
.125-.360 tall
.080-.140 wide options
There are so many options that it is making my head spin! LOL

So...a little about me. I am probably going to shoot my CORE with only iron sights to begin with in production but I did get the Trijicon RMR optic that I will use at some point when I'm ready to move to open. My thoughts were that I would get the lowest front and rear sights I can for shooting iron sights only. I guess if I add my optic then that would work well if I don't want my iron sights interfering with the red dot when I add it. On the flip side there might be some advantage to having the irons sight co-witness with the dot and have it sit right on top of the front iron sight.

I'm leaning towards the .245 tall rear (have no idea what notch option) with the .180 tall rear (no idea of how wide I would need).

I've seen the Dawson Precision front sight chooser PDF that talks about how to calculate the required height of your front sight to adjust for shooting too high or too low. I guess if I go with a .118 front sight it would give some room to go up or down with the front height slightly if I need to fine tune the elevation of my shots.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns? Pluses and minuses? HELP? :)

Edited by afletcher1965

When I bought my sights, no info was available at the time (2 months ago) so I'll throw in my experience.

Buy the prescribed sights as stated by Dawson. I have the blacked-out .245 rear with the .145 notch and the .180 tall F/O front with the .105w. This sight combo was made to not co-witness with a red-dot. I don't have a RDS so I wouldn't know is it holds true. Sometime down the line when I get to buy one I'll edit this post.

I have the M&P40 CORE in with the 5" barrel. And after hearing mixed reports and such in my research (ENOS, MP-Pistol, S&W Forum, ARFcom, etc...) with the other long slide M&Ps I just called Dawson directly and asked what they recommended. They said to buy the sights as prescribed. DP has been doing this for a while so I trusted them. The sights were developed to shoot POA/POI. So in this case right behind the F/O. Which is consistent with my previous M&P9/40 FS.

I got the sights and had them installed by my local gunsmith who also made sure it hit POA/POI. Which it does at 20 yards. I can get shots standing free handed about a 2inch group in the head box of a IDPA/USPSA target. I know it's conjecture for you, but I guess what I'm saying is that DP was right.

I wanted to shoot my CORE in IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Production/Limited/L10. Mileage may vary but that's what I did.

Really had nothing to lose. If it wasn't hitting where I was aiming then I follow the formula and take adcantage of the Dawson Guarantee and get a new front-sight.

I hope this helps.

When I bought my sights, no info was available at the time (2 months ago) so I'll throw in my experience.

Buy the prescribed sights as stated by Dawson. I have the blacked-out .245 rear with the .145 notch and the .180 tall F/O front with the .105w. This sight combo was made to not co-witness with a red-dot. I don't have a RDS so I wouldn't know is it holds true. Sometime down the line when I get to buy one I'll edit this post.

I have the M&P40 CORE in with the 5" barrel. And after hearing mixed reports and such in my research (ENOS, MP-Pistol, S&W Forum, ARFcom, etc...) with the other long slide M&Ps I just called Dawson directly and asked what they recommended. They said to buy the sights as prescribed. DP has been doing this for a while so I trusted them. The sights were developed to shoot POA/POI. So in this case right behind the F/O. Which is consistent with my previous M&P9/40 FS.

I got the sights and had them installed by my local gunsmith who also made sure it hit POA/POI. Which it does at 20 yards. I can get shots standing free handed about a 2inch group in the head box of a IDPA/USPSA target. I know it's conjecture for you, but I guess what I'm saying is that DP was right.

I wanted to shoot my CORE in IDPA SSP/ESP and USPSA Production/Limited/L10. Mileage may vary but that's what I did.

Really had nothing to lose. If it wasn't hitting where I was aiming then I follow the formula and take adcantage of the Dawson Guarantee and get a new front-sight.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jayce! That really does help. Hearing from someone that has the exact same gun makes me feel better.

• 5 years later...