Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45cal Barrel Leading With 155gr Swc

hcf1976

Yeah, website says they use liquid Xlox, which is the same as the Lee alox. It's a commercial lubricant for industry applications, but Lee and others use it as a bullet lube. It works OK but if not applied correctly, it will cause leading. There are much better lubes out there and speaking as a former commercial bullet caster, I'd never dream of selling bullets lubed with alox. Strikes me as bush league.

Probably the best option is to find a local caster and have them run them through a lubrisizer and lube them with traditional lube. They will have to have a sizing die .001" over your actual bullet diameter so it will only apply lube to the grooves and not size the bullet. It will work harden the bullet surface and cause leading.

If you don't have a lot of them, toss them in the recycling bin and buy some bullets with traditional lube from a well known company like Missouri Bullet, S&S Casting, Meister, Falcon, etc. Personally, I prefer Missouri Bullet and have used them in my commercial ammunition for years.

hcf1976:

I don't know how many of those you have left to shoot but if it were me I would simply shoot them up but not worry about the leading until they are gone. I have a Outers Foul and would then clean the barrel. If I didn't have the Foul Out I would soak the barrel in Hoppes #9 for 4 or 5 days. I soak my revolver cylinders all the time and it does help in after shooting lead 38s in my 357s.

If you don't want to do all that you might try selling or trading them to someone who likes that brand at a gun show, etc.

Cheers...